Nebo Hotel, 2009
|Population||840 (2011 census)|
Nebo is a small town and locality in the Isaac Region, Queensland, Australia, located 100 kilometres (62 mi) south-west of the city of Mackay on the Peak Downs Highway. In the 2011 census, Nebo had a population of 840 people.
The local economy has traditionally relied on coal-mining as it plays a significant role in the local economy, with eleven coal mines located in the Nebo district.
The district was named by explorer William Landsborough, after the Babylonian god Nabu (Hebrew: Nebo). Although the name Nebo was widely used for the town, the official name was Fort Cooper until it was eventually changed to Nebo in 1923.
Pastoralists settled in the Nebo region as early as the 1860s. The Nebo Post Office opened on 1 January 1864.
The Nebo Court of Petty Sessions opened on 29 January 1866. The Nebo Small Debts Court opened on 31 December 1867. Following the Magistrates Courts Act 1921, the Small Debts Court became the Nebo Magistrates Court on 3 April 1922. On 31 December 1964, the Court of Petty Sessions was absorbed into the Magistrates Court. The Magistrates Court closed on 20 December 1990.
Nebo was the administrative centre for the Shire of Nebo until 2008 when the Shire was amalgamated with the Shire of Belyando and the Shire of Broadsound to form the Isaac Region. The Isaac Region is administered from Moranbah, but has council offices in Nebo.
Nebo has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Nebo State School is a government co-educational primary (P-6) school at 34 Oxford Street, Nebo. In 2014, the school had an enrolment of 63 children with 4 teachers.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Nebo". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Nebo - town (entry 23978)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Nebo - locality (entry 47031)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Agency ID776, Court of Petty Sessions, Nebo". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Agency ID1348, Magistrates Court, Nebo". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Agency ID1811, Small Debts Court, Nebo". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Agency ID5577, Nebo State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Nebo (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 May 2009.
- "Nebo Hotel (entry 601154)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2014 School Annual Report" (PDF). Nebo State School. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nebo, Queensland.|