Ned and Stacey
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (July 2014)|
|Ned and Stacey|
Main cast of Ned and Stacey
|Created by||Michael J. Weithorn|
|Starring||Thomas Haden Church
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||35 (list of episodes)|
|Location(s)||New York City|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanley Productions
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original release||September 11, 1995– January 27, 1997|
The major thread of the series was that a couple were brought together in a marriage of convenience—Ned Dorsey (Church) needed to be married to get a promotion at work, while Stacey Colbert (Messing) desperately needed to move out of her parents' house, and Ned had a very good apartment.
Ned and Stacey's constant bickering slowly evolved into something resembling a romance. However, the show was cancelled before this plot could be developed further.
- Thomas Haden Church – Ned Dorsey
- An obsessive-compulsive advertising executive. He marries Stacey in order to get a promotion. Ned is initially portrayed as a self-absorbed egomaniac who uses anyone to get ahead. However, Ned starts developing compassion and empathy for his friends, especially Stacey. Eventually, Ned falls in love with Stacey, but the series was cancelled before this was further developed.
- Debra Messing – Stacey Colbert Dorsey
- A beautiful, red-haired journalist with a degree from Brandeis. She marries Ned to get out of her parents' house and live in his apartment, which has a nice view of Central Park. She begins the show as a freelance journalist, but eventually lands a job writing for an airline journal. Messy and neurotic, she often plays as a counter-balance for Ned's more uptight nature. Eventually, Stacey falls in love with Ned, but the series was cancelled before this was further developed.
- Greg Germann – Eric "Rico" Moyer
- Stacey's brother-in-law, Amanda's husband, and Ned's best friend. He is an accountant at Ned's advertising firm. Called Rico by Ned, he is slightly nerdy in a good natured way, and his straight down-the-middle persona is often used to counter Ned's antics. Eric is a mellow person, who is always being used by Ned in his personal schemes. He doesn't mind it since he idolizes his friend. He seldom stands up for himself, and Amanda often steps in when things threaten to get out of hand.
- Nadia Dajani – Amanda Colbert Moyer
- Stacey's sister, and Eric's wife. She is openly critical of the fake marriage in general and Ned in particular. During Season 1, Amanda was working as a high-end real estate agent. After a property investment with Ned goes wrong, she finds herself running a muffin store, "Amanda's Amuffins," during Season 2. She and Eric have one son, named Howard. As opposed to Stacey, Amanda is strong, well-organized, and cynical. She loves Eric, and often pushes him around, but most often she does this to make him stand up for himself or act on otherwise lost opportunities.
Supporting and recurring characters
- Harry Goz – Saul Colbert, father of Stacey and Amanda
- Dori Brenner – Ellen Colbert, mother of Stacey and Amanda
- James Karen – Patrick Kirkland, Ned's boss
- John Getz – Les McDowell, Ned's colleague at the agency
- Natalia Nogulich – Bernadette McDowell, Les' alcoholic wife
- Marcia Cross – Diana Huntley, Ned's Girlfriend in the second season
(Spoken during the opening theme)
Ned: Why Stacey?
Stacey: Why Ned?
Ned: It was business.
Stacey: Strictly business.
Ned: Here's the deal – to get a promotion, I needed a wife.
Stacey: To get a life, I needed his apartment.
Ned: So what the hell, we up and got married.
Stacey: The only thing we have in common? We irritate each other.
Ned: Right! Enjoy the show.
This intro did not appear for the first episodes.
The series has been aired in the UK on channel Sony TV, which began airing the show on April 7, 2011, the same day as the channel's launch. TV Guide Network began airing reruns of the show on September 12, 2011. Oxygen also occasionally airs the show, usually on Thursday at 6am EST. In Australia digital channel 7mate has been showing reruns of the series in 2012.