Nedim C. Buyukmihci is a doctor of veterinary medicine, specializing in veterinary ophthalmology, and founder of the Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights. A leading figure within the animal rights movement, he is an outspoken critic of scientific testing on animals. He is a professor emeritus of ophthalmology at the University of California, Davis' School of Veterinary Medicine, having retired in 2003.
Buyukmihci founded the Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights in 1981 with fellow veterinarian physician Neil Wolff.
Buyukmihci joined the staff of the University of California, Davis in 1979, almost immediately conflicting with the School of Veterinary Medicine administration with his opposition to the use of shelter animals as test subjects for surgery practice. He retired from the university in the spring of 2003, retaining his emeritus professorship. In August 2003, he took up a position as director of the Animal Protection Institute's primate sanctuary for non-human primates in Dilley, Texas. He is a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists.
- The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights.
- "ANIMAL RIGHTS / All Creatures Great and Small / Nedim Buyukmihci's tireless work for animal rights is slowly paying off at vet schools nationwide". SFGate. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "New Director to Manage Animal Protection Institute's Primate Sanctuary". www.bornfreeusa.org. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Statement From Nedim C. Buyukmihci, V.M.D. on Column E of USDA Reports - Articles and Reports From Stop Animal Exploitation NOW! (SAEN)". www.all-creatures.org. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "History". Animal Place. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- Buyukmihci, Nedim (2002). Non-violence in Surgical Training (PDF).
- Bekoff, Marc; Meaney, Carron A. (1998). Encyclopedia of Animal Rights and Animal Welfare. Routledge. p. 75. ISBN 1579580823 – via Google Books.
- Guthrie, Julian (August 2003). "Activist Interviews - Ned Buyukmihci". Animal Liberation Front. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "What's in a Name?", Animal Issues, Volume 34 Number 3, Fall 2003.
- "MU Researchers Blind and Kill Beagles in Failed Experiment". Retrieved 2016-10-13.
-  Nermin Rose Buyukmihci, 1952-2010, 2010-06-10.
|This animal rights-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|