Nederland Independent School District
|220 17th Nederland, TX 77627
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Superintendent||Dr. Robin Perez|
|Schools||7 (1 High School,2 Middle Schools, 4 elementary)|
|Students and staff|
|Athletic conference||UIL Class 5A Football & Basketball|
|Colors||Black and Gold|
Originally organized in 1920, the Nederland Independent School District has served the community for 97 years. The first school was built on grounds donated by Mr. Bluitt Langham, which is located at the current playground of Langham Elementary. A new school was built in the 1930s at the location of the current Alternative campus to accommodate the influx of students. This building was to become the high school until the 1970s. In addition to Nederland, the district also serves the communities of Central Gardens and portions of Port Neches and Port Arthur.
The precursors of the school district began as a series of single or two room schoolhouses formed to educate the children of the Dutch families that founded and moved into Nederland. The earliest know school room was started in 1898 as a one-room school houses that was built behind the old Orange hotel on Boston Avenue, with several children attending. As the city population grew, there were additional schools built at the corner of 10th st and Chicago and also at the Dutch Reformed Church. These early schools did not have full accreditation and were equivalent to a junior high education. A two story school was built in 1912 on the land of Mr. Bluitt Langham, and the Nederland Independent School district was organized by Jefferson County in 1920.
In January 2008 the district adopted a new dress code rule effective fall 2008. Students in grades 5 through 12 are required to wear solid color shirts with no logo or Nederland bulldog shirts. Trousers may be blue, navy, black, denim, or khaki. Skirts or jumpers may be khaki, navy, black, or denim.
All of the schools are in the City of Nederland.
High School (Grades 9-12)
- Nederland High School-Principal Dr. Steven Beagle
Middle Schools (Grades 5-8)
- Central Middle School-Principal Charles Jehlen
- C.O. Wilson Middle School-Principal Scott Clemmons
Elementary Schools (Grades PK-4)
- Helena Park Elementary School-Principal Tina Oliver
- Highland Park Elementary School-Principal Sissy Yeaman
- Hillcrest Elementary School-Principal Dr. Kevin Morrison
- Langham Elementary School-Principal Rosetta Morgan
- Alternative Campus-Principal Jared Walker
- "Enrollment report April 2017". Nederland Boardbook. Nederland ISD. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "UIL Alignments". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Block, W. T. "A History of Nederland Education and the Nederland Independent School District". www.WTblock.com. Block,WT. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Texas Education Agency Accountability Ratings -2016". TEA.org. Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Block, WT. "A History of Nederland Education and the Nederland Independent School District". wtblock.com. WT Block. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Buster Brown vs. Board of Education," Mid County Chronicle