|Formation||8 September 1978|
|Founder||Harm Breunis and others|
|Purpose||Promoting the vegan lifestyle, and ending animal exploitation|
The association was founded on 8 September 1978 in Arnhem as the Veganistenkring ("Vegan Circle"), the first organisation in the Netherlands of its kind. Shortly thereafter, its name was changed to Vereniging Veganisten Organisatie ("Association Vegans Organisation"), finally adopting its present name in 1987.
The NVV's stated purpose is promoting a way of living, which is completely free from exploitation of animals, and advocating a healthy, wholly vegetable diet, to the benefit of human beings, animals, plant life and the environment. In the period 2012–2015, the association's membership tripled from almost 650 to 1891. At the start of the year 2017, the NVV had 2100 members.
The NVV publishes Vegan Magazine, which is also available for non-members, distributed in organic shops and elsewhere. Initially, the magazine was called V. Furthermore, the association holds the VeganChallenge twice a year, a free online programme in which participants try to follow a vegan diet for a month. The campaign 'Melk, je kan zonder!' ("Milk, you can do without!") was an NVV initiative as well. It also maintains the online platform Vegan Wiki, which provides product information and information about veganism, and awards the Vegan Friendly logo to companies that make above average efforts to take the concerns of vegans into account. Moreover, the NVV is the main partner for Dutch companies who seek to apply for The Vegan Society's Vegan label for their products.
The NVV distributes a newsletter and maintains a website, webshop and a Facebook page, and holds a general assembly every year.
VegFest is an annual veganism fair, of which the NVV is one of the sponsors (NVV members pay half the entry fee). VegFest was held for the first time in November 2014 in the Martin Luther Church in Amsterdam, in November 2015 in the Jaarbeurs in Utrecht and in December 2016 as well.
- Peggy Schyns (4 February 2016). "Kiezen bij de kassa. Een verkenning van maatschappelijk bewust consumeren in Nederland". Sociaal en Cultureel Planbureau. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Pyttersen's Nederlandse Almanak 2013. Bohn Stafleu van Loghum. 2012. p. 874. ISBN 9789031399949.
- Pyttersen's Nederlandse Almanak. Van de Garde. 2006. p. 845.
- Rob Biersma (4 May 1996). "Vlees als snoepje". NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Organisatie". Veganisme.org. Nederlandse Vereniging voor Veganisme. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Geschiedenis". Nederlandse Vereniging voor Veganisme. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Partners". VegFest. Vegetafel. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- Amber Dujardin (1 November 2014). "Naakte demonstranten op de bres voor veganisme". Trouw. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Ga vega in Utrecht". De Telegraaf. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- Gerrit-Jan KleinJan (3 November 2015). "'Jezus at vlees en vis, dat had ik graag anders gezien'". Trouw. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "VegFest 2016". NVV. Retrieved 24 March 2017.