Needles and Pins (song)
|"Needles and Pins"|
|Single by Jackie DeShannon|
|B-side||"Did He Call Today, Mama?"|
|Released||April 11, 1963|
"Needles and Pins" is a rock song credited to American writers Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono. Jackie DeShannon recorded it in 1963 and other versions followed, including by the Searchers, Smokie, the Ramones, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with Stevie Nicks.
Jackie DeShannon version (1963)
In his autobiography, Bono states that he sang along with Nitzsche's guitar-playing, thus creating both the tune and the lyrics, being guided by the chord progressions. However, Jackie DeShannon claims that the song was written at the piano, and that she was a full participant in the song's creation, along with Nitzsche and Bono, although she did not get formal credit.
DeShannon was the first to record the song; in the US it peaked at number 84 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in May 1963. Though it was only a minor US hit, DeShannon's recording of the song topped the charts in Canada, hitting number one on the CHUM Chart in 1963.
|Canadian CHUM Singles Chart||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||84|
The Searchers version (1964)
|"Needles and Pins"|
|Single by The Searchers|
|B-side||"Saturday Night Out"|
|Released||January 7, 1964 (UK)|
|The Searchers singles chronology|
The Searchers heard British performer Cliff Bennett perform "Needles and Pins" at a club in Hamburg, Germany, and instantly wanted it to be their next single. The Pye Records single was released in January 1964. It was number one in the United Kingdom, Ireland and South Africa and peaked at number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the United States. Soon after, in April 1964, "Needles and Pins" appeared on the Searchers' next album, It's the Searchers.
Audible during the Searchers' recording of "Needles and Pins" is a faulty bass drum pedal, which squeaks throughout the song. It is particularly noticeable during the opening of the number.
A German version sung by The Searchers is called Tausend Nadelstiche 
|French Singles Chart||29|
|German Singles Chart||8|
|Irish Singles Chart||1|
|Swedish Singles Chart||5|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||13|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||8|
|South African Singles Chart||1|
Smokie version (1977)
In 1977, at the height of their popularity, English rock band Smokie recorded the song as a rock ballad for the album Bright Lights and Back Alleys, and got a European hit with "Needles and Pins". The song reached number one in some European countries. Later, ex-Smokie vocalist Chris Norman included his solo cover of the song on his studio album Full Circle (2000).
Ramones version (1978)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers version (1985; live)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers released their first live album in 1985 called Pack Up the Plantation: Live! where singer-songwriter and Fleetwood Mac vocalist Stevie Nicks performed on "Needles and Pins" with Tom Petty at the Forum in Los Angeles, California.
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||85|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||37|
|U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks||17|
- Sonny Bono, And the Beat Goes On (New York: Pocket Books, 1991).
- Terry Gross, Jackie DeShannon (June 14, 2010). "What The World Needs Now Is Jackie DeShannon [interview transcript]". Fresh Air. National Public Radio. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
And I had some I did contribute to that song, but I did not get writing credit at the time, I did not pursue it.
- Kubernik, Harvey (2009). Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and the Music of Laurel Canyon. Sterling. p. 34. ISBN 978-1402797613. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
We were at the piano going over musical riffs and finally settled on the one starts off 'Needles and Pins'.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990, Record Research, Inc., Menomonee Falls WI, 1991
-  Archived 27 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- LaBate, Steve (December 18, 2009). "Jangle Bell Rock: A Chronological (Non-Holiday) Anthology… from The Beatles and Byrds to R.E.M. and Beyond". Paste. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 76. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "Chartverfolgung > The Searchers > Needles and Pins" (in German). Media Control Charts. Musicline.de. 1984-04-19. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- "The Irish Charts – All There Is To Know". Irish Recorded Music Association. Irishcharts.com. 1984-01-22. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "ChartArchive - The Searchers - Needles And Pins". Archive.is. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Steffen Hung. "The Searchers - Needles And Pins". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "spanishcharts.com - Chris Norman - Full Circle". Retrieved October 20, 2017.