|Directed by||Balu Mahendra|
|Written by||Balu Mahendra|
|Story by||Akila Mahendra|
|Edited by||D. Vasu|
|28 June 1984|
Neengal Kettavai (English: (lit.) Listener's choice) is a 1984 Tamil film written and directed by Balu Mahendra, starring Thiagarajan, Bhanu Chander, Archana and Silk Smitha in major roles. The film featured Jaishankar as the main antagonist in an extended cameo. Ilaiyaraaja's soundtrack and background score was highly acclaimed upon release.
Poornima Jayaram, a widow living in Ooty leads a peaceful life with her two sons. Jaishankar, a tourist who visits the place gets tempted and rapes her. In the act, Pornima dies leaving her two sons who witness the murder. The eldest son (Bhanu Chander) is raised by his maternal uncle while the younger brother (Thiagarajan) joins a blind music teacher as he has great interest in music. Years later he becomes a great singer. Meanwhile, his brother is trained effectively by his uncle learning martial arts with the intention of avenging the death of his mother as he very well remembers the culprit's face. With a turn of events leading to both sons joining together and take revenge for their mother's death forms the rest of the story.
- Thiagarajan as Arun
- Bhanu Chander as Ramu
- Archana as Radha
- Silk Smitha
- Poornima Jayaram
- Y. Gee. Mahendra
- J. V. Somayajulu as music teacher
- Balan K. Nair
- Vanitha Krishnachandran
- Thengai Srinivasan
- Madhan Bob
Archana made her Tamil cinema debut through the film. The film unlike Mahendra's previous ventures was an "outright commercial picture". Mahendra later claimed that he made the film to prove to critics that he could make commercial films. Despite being a box-office success, the film did not prompt Mahendra to make more films of the same genre. A few scenes were shot at the VGP golden beach.
|Soundtrack album by Ilaiyaraaja|
The soundtrack was composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The album comprised six songs and was highly successful.
|1||Adiye Manam Nilluna||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Vaali||05:14|
|2||Kanavu Kaanum||K. J. Yesudas||Vairamuthu||05:18|
|3||Naane Raja||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Na. Kamarasan||04:25|
|4||Oh Vasantha Raaja||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Pulamaipithan||04:23|
|5||Pillai Nila (Lady)||S. Janaki||Vairamuthu||04:20|
|6||Pillai Nila (Men)||K. J. Yesudas||04:51|
- Ashish Rajadhyaksha; Paul Willemen (26 June 1999). Encyclopaedia of Indian cinema. British Film Institute. p. 108. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "Off the beaten track". The Hindu. 18 August 2007. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- SR, Ashok Kumar (3 May 2007). "Good roles are hard to come by, says actor Archana". The Hindu. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- S.R., Ashok Kumar (3 May 2007). "Good roles are hard to come by, says actor Archana". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- G., Prasad (18 August 2007). "Off the beaten track". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Neengal Kettavai Songs". raaga. Retrieved 2013-11-28.