|Directed by||Balu Mahendra|
|Story by||Akila Mahendra|
|Edited by||D. Vasu|
|28 June 1984|
Neengal Kettavai (transl. What you asked for) is a 1984 Tamil-language film written and directed by Balu Mahendra. It stars Thiagarajan, Bhanu Chander, Archana and Silk Smitha in major roles, while Jaishankar had an extended cameo as the antagonist. The film's soundtrack and background score were composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The film was commercially successful at the time of release.
Poornima Jayaram, a widow living in Ooty, leads a peaceful life with her two sons. Jaishankar, a tourist who visits the place gets tempted and rapes her. In the act, Poornima dies leaving her two sons who witness the murder. The eldest son (Bhanu Chander) is raised by his maternal uncle while the younger brother (Thiagarajan) joins a blind music teacher as he has great interest in music. Years later he becomes a great singer. Meanwhile, his brother is trained effectively by his uncle learning martial arts with the intention of avenging the death of his mother as he very well remembers the culprit's face. With a turn of events leading to both sons joining together and take revenge for their mother's death forms the rest of the story.
- Thiagarajan as Arun
- Bhanu Chander as Ramu
- Archana as Radha
- Jaishankar as Muthulingam
- Silk Smitha as Arun's Girl Friend
- Poornima Jayaram as Ramu and Arun's mother
- Y. G. Mahendran as James
- J. V. Somayajulu as music teacher
- Balan K. Nair as Stunt Master's friend.
- Senthamarai as Stunt Master, Radha's father.
- Vanitha Krishnachandran
- Thengai Srinivasan as Director (Cameo)
- Madhan Bob as Keyboardist (Adiye Manam Nilluna Song)
- Master Sridahr also MGR Fight Master
Archana made her Tamil cinema debut with the film. The film unlike Mahendra's previous ventures was an "outright commercial picture". He later claimed that he made the film to prove his critics that he could make commercial films. A few scenes were shot at the VGP golden beach.
|Soundtrack album by|
|1||"Adiye Manam Nilluna"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Gangai amaran||05:14|
|2||"Kanavu Kaanum"||K. J. Yesudas||Vairamuthu||05:18|
|3||"Naane Raja"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Na. Kamarasan||04:25|
|4||"Oh Vasantha Raaja"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Pulamaipithan||04:23|
|5||"Pillai Nila" (Lady)||S. Janaki||Vairamuthu||04:20|
|6||"Pillai Nila" (Men)||K. J. Yesudas||04:51|
Despite the film's box-office success, Mahendra never opted to make more films of the same genre.
- SR, Ashok Kumar (3 May 2007). "Good roles are hard to come by, says actor Archana". The Hindu. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- S.R., Ashok Kumar (3 May 2007). "Good roles are hard to come by, says actor Archana". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Prasad, G. (18 August 2007). "Off the beaten track". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Neengal Kettavai (1984)". Raaga.com. Archived from the original on 17 December 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Srinivasan, Karthik. "Ilayaraja [Tamil]". ItwoFS. Retrieved 25 June 2020.