|Born||March 12, 1968|
|Occupation||Film and Theatre actor|
|Awards||Best Actor at the 4th Sakhalin International Film Festival, Russia|
Neeraj Kabi is a self-taught actor, director, trainer who is working towards building a Theatre and Film Residency involved in performance, directing, training and research. The techniques he uses are his own discoveries and experiments that he has been working on for many years to evolve his skill of acting in films and theatre.
Since the last two decades he has been working as a professional actor with renowned national and international theatre and film directors. As a theatre director he's been exploring the concept of collaborating Indian traditional artistes with urban actors to interpret Indian and Global theatre texts. Neeraj has travelled across the country since 1996 to conduct theatre and acting workshops for actors, children and other industries. As theatre and films deal with advanced levels of behavioural sciences which can be life changing, these workshops are based on the foundations of deep explorations of theatre philosophies, theatre sciences and theatre arts.
Neeraj began work as a professional theatre actor in 1998 in Mumbai. He has performed in major or lead roles in plays by Shakespeare (as Banquo), Tom Stoppard (as Hamlet), Moliere (as Sganarelle), Marivaux (as Harlequin), Chekov (as Gurov & Chekov), Oscar Wilde (as King Herod), Ibsen (as Tesman), Margurite Duras (as Peter Morgan), Florian zeller [ Pierre] amongst others and has worked with International and Indian directors such as Jean Jacques Bellot and Eric Vigner from France, Gil Alon from Israel, Rene Migliaccio from USA and with Atul Kumar, Rehaan Engineer and Naseeruddin Shah from India.
His theatre production of Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' which he directed and produced in 2006 with support from the British Council Division of Mumbai, was performed at The Nehru National Theatre Festival in Mumbai, the National School of Drama's Bharat Rang Mahotsav and opened at the Kala Ghoda Festival in Mumbai, the same year. The production involved actors from Mumbai and original artistes from Indian traditions of Dhrupad singing and Yakshagana dance-drama.
Neeraj's work in cinema began in 1997 with the film "The Last Vision", a feature film directed by Mr. A.K. Bir and produced by the NFDC which won a national award in 1998 and made it to the competition section of Cairo and Singapore International Film Festivals. Thereafter, he performed in the lead role as an Indian monk in Anand Gandhi's hugely acclaimed international award winning feature film, "Ship of Theseus". (BEST ACTOR - Jury Special Mention at the 4th Jagran Film Festival, 2013) (BEST ACTOR at the 4th Sakhalin International Film Festival, Russia).
He played various distinctive roles, from performing as Mahatma Gandhi in Shyam Benegal's television series, 'Samvidhaan', to a Villain in Dibakar Banerjee's "Detective Byomkesh Bakshy" (Yash Raj Films) and the role of a convicted father in "Talvar", based on a true life story directed by Meghna Gulzar and produced by Vishal Bharadwaj. (Nominations for ACTING at Sony Guild Awards, Zee Cine Awards, Stardust Awards in 2016) (Newsmakers Achievers' Award for BEST ACTOR). He's also been a part of multiple web-series projects for Netflix, Amazon and others. He performed as DCP Parulkar in a Netflix Original, 'Sacred Games'. (BEST ACTOR in a Supporting Role at the Indian Television Academy Awards in 2019) (Nomination at the Asian Academy Creative Awards in Singapore). He also won BEST ACTOR in a Supporting Role at the Indywood Academy Awards in Hyderabad for his performance in the feature film, 'Hichki' (Yash Raj Film Productions). His latest Lead Role performance as a Romantic Actor in an Indo-German Feature film called "Once Again" was honoured by the Times Now 2019 edition of Power Brands: Bollywood Film Journalist's Award with the title of "Editor's Choice BEST ACTOR".
He has also been performing in very different genres of web-series projects lately. Webseries "Paatal Lok" (streaming on Amazon Prime) unravels his acting prowess.
- Best Actor at the 4th Sakhalin International Film Festival, Russia, in the International competition section in 2014 for his performance in Ship of Theseus
- Best Actor [Jury Special Mention] for his performance in the internationally acclaimed and celebrated film Ship of Theseus in recognition of Cinematic Excellence at the 4th Jagran Film Festival, 2013
- In May 2015, the NBC honoured Neeraj Kabi with the Newsmakers Achievers' Award for Best Actor for his silent and steady contribution to Indian theatre and cinema.
- Best Actor in a supporting role at the ITA awards for Sacred Games in 2019
- Best Actor in a supporting role at the Indywood Academy awards 2019 for Hichki
- Best Actor (Editor's Choice) at the Times Now 2019 Edition of Power Brands: Bollywood Film Journalist's awards for Once Again
- Nominated for Best Actor in a negative role for Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! at the IBNLive Movie Awards 2016
- Nominated for Best Actor in a negative role for Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! at the Zee Cine Awards 2016
- Nominated for Best Actor in a negative role (Readers Choice) for Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! at the Stardust Awards 2016
- Nominated for most promising newcomer (Male) for Ship of Theseus at the 20th Annual Screen Awards 2015
- Nominated for Best Actor in a supporting role for Talvar at the 11th Sony Guild Awards 2015
- Nominated for Best Actor in a supporting role for Sacred Games at the Asian Academy Creative Awards 2019 in Singapore
|Year||Film||Role||Director||Producer||Language||Awards and Nominations|
|1997||The Last Vision (Shesha Drushti)||Sangram (lead)||A.K. Bir||National Film Development Corporation||Oriya||National Award for Best film|
|2012||Ship of Theseus||Maitreya||Anand Gandhi||Sohum Shah||English, Hindi||Best Actor at the 4th Sakhalin International Film Festival, Russia
Best Actor [Jury Special Mention] at the 4th Jagran Film Festival, 2013
Nominated for most promising newcomer (Male) at the 20th Annual Screen Awards 2015
|2013||Monsoon Shootout||Inspector Khan||Amit Kumar||Guneet Monga,
Martijn de Grunt
|Hindi||Nominated for Golden Camera award at Cannes Film Festival
Nominated for Audience Choice Award at Chicago International Film Festival
|2014||Gandhi of the Month||Mr. Giri||Kranti Kanade||Sanjay Singh Ssf||English, Hindi|
|2015||Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!||Dr. Guha||Dibakar Banerjee||Aditya Chopra,
|Hindi||Nominated for Best Actor in a negative role at the IBNLive Movie Awards 2016
Nominated for Best Actor in a negative role at the Zee Cine Awards 2016
Nominated for Best Actor in a negative role (Readers Choice) at the Stardust Awards 2016
|2015||Talvar||Dr. Tandon||Meghna Gulzar||Vishal Bhardwaj, Vineet Jain||Hindi||Nominated for Best Actor in a supporting role at the 11th Sony Guild Awards 2015|
|2015||35 mm (short film)||Guru||Chandan Roy Sanyal||Hindi|
|2017||Viceroy's House||Mahatma Gandhi||Gurinder Chadha||Paul Mayeda Berges,
|2017||Gali Guliyan||Liakat||Dipesh Jain||Dipesh Jain, Shuchi Jain||Hindi||Finalists at Sundance screenwriting lab, 2015
Won the Grand Jury Prize at MAMI Film Festival, 2017
|2017||Tabeer (post-production)||Lieutenant General||Nirang Desai||Deep Trivedi||Hindi|
|2017||The Hungry||Arun Kumar||Bornila Chatterjee||Tanaji Dasgupta,
|2018||Hichki||Prof Wadia||Siddharth Malhotra||Yash Raj Films||Hindi, English||Best Actor in a supporting role at the Indywood Academy Awards 2019|
|2018||Once Again||Amar||Kanval Sethi||Leis Bagdach,
|Hindi||Best Actor (Editor's Choice) at the Times Now 2019 Edition of Power Brands: Bollywood Film Journalist's awards|
|2019||Raahgir - The Wayfarers||Chopat Lal||Goutam Ghose||Amit Agarwal||Hindi|
|2019||Laal Kaptaan||Sadullah Khan||Navdeep Singh||Eros International,
Colour Yellow Productions
|2019||Line of Descent||Siddharth Sinha||Rohit Batra||Rohit Karn Batra,
Guy J. Louthan
|2020||Freedom||Dibakar Banerjee||Netflix Original||Hindi|
Television and Web Series
|Year||Show||Role||Language||Network||Awards & Nominations|
|2014||Samvidhaan||Mahatma Gandhi||Hindi||Rajya Sabha TV|
|2018-19||Sacred Games||DCP Parulkar||Hindi||Netflix||Best Actor in a supporting role at the ITA awards 2019
Nominated for Best Actor in a supporting role at the Asian Academy Creative Awards 2019 in Singapore
|2019||The Final Call||V. Krishnamurthy||English, Hindi||Zee5|
|2019||Taj Mahal||Akhtar Baig||Hindi||Netflix|
|2019||The Bear||Khader Khan||English/Hindi||Apple TV|
|2020||Paatal Lok||Sanjeev Mehra||English, Hindi||Amazon Prime Video|
|2020||Avrodh||Shailesh Malviya||English, Hindi||Sony Liv|
|1998||Macbeth||William Shakespeare||Banquo, English Doctor||English||Salim Ghouse - Phoenix Players|
|2000||Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead||Tom Stoppard||Hamlet||English||The Company Theatre|
|2000||Love is the best remedy||Moliere||Sganarelle||English||Jean Jacques Bellot (from France)|
|2001||The game of love and chance||Marivaux||Harlequin||English||Rene Migliaccio (from USA)|
|2003||Lady with Lapdog (play adaptation)||Anton Chekov||Gurov and Chekov||English||Atul Kumar (The Company Theatre)|
|2004||Salome||Oscar Wilde||King Herod||English||Gil Alon (from Israel)|
|2004||Aham||Experimental work by 13 young workshop actors||-||English, Hindi||Neeraj Kabi|
|2005||Hamlet||William Shakespeare and Harivansh Rai Bachchan||-||English, Hindi||Neeraj Kabi|
|2010||Hedda Gabler||Henrik Ibsen||Tesman||English||Rehaan Engineer / The Company Theatre|
|2013||Gates to India song||Marguerite Duras||Peter Morgan||English||Eric Vigner (from France)|
|2017||The Father||Florian Zeller||Pierre||English||Naseeruddin Shah / Motley|
- "Neeraj Kabi". IMDb.
- "I am hungry for good work: 'Talvar' actor Neeraj Kabi". The Indian Express. 6 September 2015.
- Ghosal, Sharmistha (12 July 2019). "Actor Neeraj Kabi on living his dream in Goutam Ghose's Hindi film, Raahgir". Indulge Express.
- "4 underrated theatre actors you'd love to watch on stage!". Blogbuster Tata Sky.
- Khan, Murtaza Ali (4 September 2018). "Neeraj Kabi and his art of transformation". The Hindu.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (3 August 2013). "The monk and the producer". The Hindu.
- Korablinov, Alexander (2 September 2014). "Ship of Theseus wins Grand Prix at Sakhalin film festival". Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Curtains fall on 4th Jagran Film Festival". mid-day. 30 September 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "'I don't want to be easily recognised when I come on screen'". The Indian Express. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.