|Directed by||K. Balachander|
|Produced by||A. K. Velan|
|Story by||K. Balachander|
|Music by||V. Kumar|
|Edited by||V. B. Natarajan|
|Distributed by||Thirumalai Films|
Neerkumizhi (lit. Water bubble) is a 1965 Tamil-language film directed by K. Balachander in his directorial debut. It portrayed the stories of patients and staff in a hospital setting. It was based on a play by the director.
Sethu, an orphan is a patient who is constantly playing pranks on the other hospital patients, the nurse in-charge and the doctors. A romantic bond develops between a young doctor, Indra and another patient, a football player, Arun much to the chagrin of her father, the senior most doctor in the hospital. The football player has a greedy brother who tries to arrange for his sibling to be killed. How Sethu, on learning that he is terminally ill cherishes the short time he has to live and takes it upon himself to unite the lovers forms the rest of the story.
- Nagesh as Sethu
- Sowcar Janaki as Dr. Indra
- V. Gopalakrishnan as Arun
- Major Sundarrajan as Dr. Indra's father and chief doctor
- Jayanthi as the nurse in-charge
- I. S. R.
- S. N. Lakshmi
- Director: K. Balachander
- Producer: A. K. Velan
- Production Company: Thirumalai Films
- Music: V. Kumar
- Lyrics: Suratha & Alangudi Somu
- Story: K. Balachander
- Dialogues: K. Balachander
- Cinematography: Nimay Ghosh
- Editing: V. B. Natarajan
- Art Direction: Raganna & K. P. Muthu
- Choreography: Sundaram
The film marked the directorial debut of K. Balachander who earlier worked as a scriptwriter and it was based on the stage play of same name and cast Sowcar Janaki, Nagesh, 'Major' Sundararajan and V. Gopalakrishnan in prominent roles who were part of the play. Balachander said that he was advised by friends and relatives to change the title but he was adamant and kept the title.
The music was composed by V. Kumar. Balachander said that he wanted Sirkazhi Govindarajan to sing the song "Aadi Adangum" as he felt that "his emphasis on certain words and letters always produced the effect required." The title song is based on "The Green Leaves of Summer".
|1||Aadi Adangum Vazhkkaiyada||Sirkazhi Govindarajan||Suratha||03:16|
|2||Kanni Nadhiyoram||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela||Alangudi Somu||03:13|
|3||Neeril Neendhidum||P. Susheela||03:26|
- Film News Anandan (2004). Sadhanaigal Padaitha Thamizh Thiraipada Varalaru [Tamil film history and its achievements] (in Tamil). Chennai: Sivagami Publishers. Archived from the original on 2018.
- Guy, Randor (3 May 2011). "The KB school". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Kolappan, B. (23 December 2014). "He took Tamil cinema beyond hero-centric creations". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Balasubramanian, V. "Director felicitated". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Krishnamachari, Suganthy (19 December 2013). "Temple bell timbre". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- The Illustrated Weekly of India, Volume 87, p. 43
- சேகர்; சந்தர் (14 November 1965). "சினிமா விமர்சனம்: நீர்க்குமிழி". Ananda Vikatan (in Tamil). (Subscription required (help)).