This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Girija Pakkirisami,|
K. S. Narasimhan
|Written by||P. Kalaimani|
|Story by||Rajendra Singh Aatish|
|Music by||Sankar Ganesh|
|Edited by||M. Vellaisamy|
|13 January 1979|
Neeya? (lit. You?) is a 1979 Indian Tamil-language horror film, starring Kamal Haasan in the lead role and directed by Durai. It is a remake of the Hindi-language film Nagin, itself inspired by François Truffaut's film The Bride Wore Black, based on Cornell Woolrich's novel of the same name.
The male lead role was first offered to Rajinikanth, he turned down offer as he wanted to work on solo hero scripts, later Kamal Haasan took the role for his friendship with Sripriya, who was also the producer of the movie.
Neeya is about an Ichadhari snake (Sripriya), who avenges the death of her beloved (Chandramohan). Kamal Haasan plays a man who does research on snakes. The movie was a huge hit at the box office.
Kamal Haasan, along with his group of friends: Vijayakumar, Srikanth, Jaiganesh and Ravichandran go to a forest. Kamal is a researcher who studies the behaviour of snakes (Ichadhari), a kind of snake which takes humanoid form. One of his friend kills the beloved of the serpent, (Chandramohan) despite the intervention of Kamal. Initially, all the other friends ignore Kamal without knowing the seriousness of the issue. They all leave the village and the female serpent (Sripriya) vows to avenge the death of her beloved. She kills all the five friends of Kamal in disguise at some instance and at the end, she disguises as Latha (Kamal's love interest) in order to kill him. In the end, Sripriya is killed and Kamal reunites with Latha and the child of Srikanth.
- Kamal Haasan as Kamal
- Sripriya as Naaga Rani (Icchhadhari Snake – Female Serpent)
- Chandra Mohan as Naaga Raja (Icchhadhari Snake - Male Serpent)
- Latha as Latha, Kamal's lover
- Vijayakumar as Vijay
- Manjula as Usha, Vijay's lover
- R. Muthuraman as Lorry driver
- Ravichandran as Ravi
- Sreekanth as Sri
- Jaiganesh as Jai
- Deepa as Deepa, Ravi's girlfriend
- Kavitha as Icchhadhari Snake, Female Serpent
- Swarna as Jai Ganesh's wife
- M. N. Nambiar as Appu Kuttan
- Suruli Rajan as Poochandi
- Y. G. Mahendran as Martin in a (Special Appearance)
|1||"Ore Jeevan"||Kannadasan||Vani Jairam, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:45|
|2||"Naan Kattil Mele"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, P. Susheela Vaali||4:26|
|3||"Unnai Ethanai"||Pualamaipithan||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, P. Susheela||4:47|
|4||"Oru Kodi"||Alangudi Somu||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:56|
|5||"Ore Jeevan" (Pathos)||Kannadasan||Vani Jairam||---|
- "நாகின் படத்தைப் பார்த்துவிட்டு ஸ்ரீபிரியா தயாரித்த படம் நீயா". Maalai Malar (in Tamil). 23 January 2018. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "rediff.com, Movies: Sex and Suspense: Antonio and Angelina".
- "Neeya Songs – Tamil Movie Songs – Raaga.com". Raaga.com.
- "சினிமா விமர்சனம்: நீயா" [Movie Review: Neeya]. Ananda Vikatan (in Tamil). 28 January 1979.