Negwegon State Park
|Negwegon State Park|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
Sunset at Negwegon State Park
|Location||Lower Peninsula, Alpena County, Alcona County, Michigan, United States|
|Nearest city||Black River, Michigan|
|Area||3,738 acres (1,513 ha)|
|Elevation||591 feet (180 m) |
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
|Website||Negwegon State Park|
Negwegon State Park is an undeveloped public recreation area in Alpena County and Alcona County, Michigan, lying 5 miles (8.0 km) southeast of the unincorporated community of Ossineke. The state park's 3,738 acres (1,513 ha) include low land areas with small ridges, mature pine forest, pockets of open meadows, and a long sand beach on Lake Huron.
First purchase of land for the park, then known as Alpena State Park, occurred in 1962. Its name was changed in 1970 at the behest of the local citizenry who thought it appropriate for the park to honor the Ojibwe chieftain known to have hunted and camped in the area. In 2016, Negwegon State Park, Thompson's Harbor State Park, and Rockport State Park were designated as Michigan "dark sky preserves."
Activities and amenities
The park offers 11 miles (18 km) of hiking trails, primitive camping site, canoeing, and hunting. The sand road that cuts through the forest and leads to the entrance of the park may require a 4WD vehicle. At the boundary between private/county land and state land, the thin sand two-track road, Sand Hill Wilds Road, becomes a very wide groomed gravel road, Negwegon Park Road.
- "Alpena State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Negwegon State Park". Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- "Twenty-Second Biennial Report 1963–1964". State of Michigan Department of Conservation. p. 169. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- "Apenndix A: Supporting Analysis for Negwegon State Park" (PDF). State of Michigan Department of Conservation. September 2008. p. A-7. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Jackson, Angie (April 6, 2016). "Michigan designates 3 new dark sky preserves". MLive. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- Negwegon State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Negwegon State Park Map Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Negwegon State Park Protected Planet
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Negwegon State Park.|