Nehru Zoological Park
|Date opened||12 October 1963|
|Location||Hyderabad, Telangana, IN|
|Land area||380 acres (153.8 ha)|
|No. of animals||1100|
|No. of species||100|
|Memberships||Central Zoo Authority of India|
Nehru Zoological Park's construction was started on 26 October 1959 and opened to the public on 6 October 1963. The Park is run by forest department, Government of Telangana, and is named after the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru.
Animals and exhibits
The zoo occupies 380 acres (150 ha) and is adjacent to the 600-acre (240 ha) Mir Alam Tank. Nearly 100 species of birds, animals and reptiles are housed at the zoo, including indigenous animals like the Indian rhino, Asiatic lion, Bengal tiger, panther, gaur, Indian elephant, slender loris, python, as well as deer, antelopes and birds. The 600-acre (240 ha) Mir Alam Tank with its unique multiple arched bund (embankment), attracts hundreds of migratory birds, providing yet another attraction for the zoo.
The nocturnal house at the zoo artificially reverses night and day for the animals so that nocturnal animals are active while visitors are at the zoo. This exhibit includes chimpanzee, giraffe, fruit bats, slender loris, slow loris, civets, leopard cats, hedgehogs, barn owls, mottled wood owls, fishing owls, and great horned owls. There is also an aquarium, dino park, butterfly park and tortoise house. Since 2014, the zoo is running a adoption program; under which people and corporates can adopt an animal or entire enclosure, paying money for their upkeep.
The zoo runs multiple safari trips each day through the safari area where animals such as Asiatic lion, Bengal tiger, sloth bear etc. are housed. The zoo also has special educational shows and feeding sessions scheduled each day. Other attractions include a natural history museum and a train.
Several animals are bred in the zoo have been rehabilitated in various deer parks and sanctuaries to restock the depleted natural population. In order boost captive breeding of vultures at the zoo the state forest dept has requested Maharashtra for 10 of these critically endangered birds.
- "Search Establishment". cza.nic.in. CZA. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- "Is Hyderabad zoo being shifted?". The Times of India. 4 December 2010. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- "Nehru Zoological Park Hyderabad | Zoo Hyderabad | Hyderabad Zoo". meramaal.com.
- "chimpanzee at Nehru Zoological Park".
- "Hyderabad zoo's 'adopt an animal' scheme finds takers".
- "Nehru Zoological Park". clickindia.com. ClickIndia. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- "To boost captive breeding, Telangana wants 10 vultures from Maharashtra".
- Media related to Nehru Zoological Park at Wikimedia Commons