|Member of the Louisiana House of Representatives
from the 98th district
January 14, 2008
|Preceded by||Cheryl Gray|
|Born||Neil Charles Abramson
May 2, 1967 (age 50)
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College (B.A.)
Louisiana State University Law Center (J.D.)
Abramson is a graduate of Episcopal High School in Baton Rouge, Dartmouth College in New Hampshire and the Louisiana State University Law Center in Baton Rouge. He was an intern to former United States Senator J. Bennett Johnston, Jr., and former U.S. Representative Jimmy Hayes of Louisiana's 7th congressional district, since disbanded. He was a clerk to U.S. District Judge Frank J. Polozola of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana.
Abramson's legislative ratings have ranged from 67 to 100 percent from the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry. In 2012, he was rated 100 percent by the National Federation of Independent Business. In 2013 and 2014, the conservative Louisiana Family Forum scored him 100 and 40 percent, respectively. Louisiana Right to Life has scored him 100 percent in his first term; no ratings are posted for his second term. In 2013 and 2014, the Louisiana Association of Educators rated him 50 percent both years.
In 2016, Representative Abramson was formally rebuked by the Orleans Parish Democratic Party, which asked his constituents to reconsider their support for him after he voted for New Iberia Republican Taylor Barras for Speaker of the House. Barras went on to become Speaker of the House.
On May 2, 2018, Representative Abramson failed to attend a special session of the legislature which had been called to address a $994 million budget gap. A bipartisan proposal to close the budget gap failed to pass by one vote. It is unknown whether the bill would have passed had Representative Abramson participated in the legislative session on that day.
- "Neil Abramson, May 1967". Louisiana Secretary of State. Retrieved May 19, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "House Member Page". house.louisiana.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- "Neil C. Abramson's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved May 19, 2015.
- "Hurricane Isaac Twitter Update". New Orleans Times-Picayune. September 8, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- "Neil C. Abramson's Ratings and Endorsements". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved May 19, 2015.
- "Orleans Parish Democratic Party rebukes Neil Abramson". NOLA.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "http://www.louisianaweekly.com/surprise-victory-by-new-iberian-leaves-nola-without-a-speaker/". www.louisianaweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03. External link in
- "Louisiana House puts off 'do or die' tax votes until Sunday". NOLA.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
|Louisiana House of Representatives|
|Louisiana State Representative for
District 98 (Orleans Parish)
Neil Charles Abramson
|This article about a Louisiana politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|