Neil G. Bluhm
|Born||1938 (age 80–81)|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois (B.A.)|
Northwestern University (J.D.)
|Known for||real estate and casinos|
|Net worth||US$4 billion (September 2018)|
|Spouse(s)||Barbara Bluhm-Kaul (divorced)|
Early life and education
Bluhm was born to a Jewish family in 1938. His father left home when he was 13, and his mother worked as a bookkeeper. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and received a law degree from Northwestern University.
He started his career as a lawyer and eventually a partner in the Chicago law firm of Mayer, Brown & Platt. In 1969, he co-founded JMB Realty with Judd Malkin. He serves as a Managing Partner of Walton Street Capital and Lamb Partners. He is also President of the ALP Liquidating Trust and the Northbrook Corporation, and Chairman of the Board of HSP Gaming and the Falls Management Company. He owns the Holdings Acquisitions Co.. He is a former Co-Chairman of the Board of Urban Shopping Centers. He is Chairman of the Board of Midwest Gaming & Entertainment which owns casinos in Vicksburg, Mississippi, the Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Rivers Casino in Des Plaines, Illinois, and Casino Niagara in Niagara Falls, Canada.
He hosted President Barack Obama's 49th birthday party, where admission was a $30,000 donation to the Democratic National Committee. He has made further donations to Democratic candidates, such as Hillary Clinton, Dick Durbin, Melissa Bean, Rahm Emanuel, Lisa Madigan, Rod Blagojevich, Lou Lang, and Michael Madigan. An art patron, he sits on the Board of Trustees of the Art Institute of Chicago and the Whitney Museum of American Art. He also has an art collection worth $300 million. He sits on the Board of Trustees of Northwestern University.
- Andy Bluhm, who runs his own hedge fund, Delaware Street Capital;
- Leslie Bluhm, who co-founded Chicago Cares;
- Meredith Bluhm-Wolf, a philanthropist.
- "Profile: Neil Bluhm". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- "The Jews of Chicago: From Shtetl to Suburb" By Irving Cutler published 1996
- Anna Marie Kukec, 'Rivers Casino dealmaker eyes the next big project', in The Daily Herald, 7/25/2011 
- "Neil G. Bluhm CPA: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Walton St Capital biography". waltonst.com. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Global Conference 2010 - Speaker: Neil Bluhm". www.milkeninstitute.org. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Not Found". www.theriverscasino.com. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Melissa Harris, 'Knowing when to hold them', in The Chicago Tribune, July 17, 2011 
- Chicago Tribune: "Son of billionaire casino magnate Neil Bluhm invests in competitor" by Melissa Harris March 16, 2015
- "Life Trustees: Administration and Planning - Northwestern University". www.adminplan.northwestern.edu. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Chicago Sun-Times: "Obama taps Chicagoan Barbara Bluhm-Kaul to cultural property panel" By Lynn Sweet August 30, 2011
- Daily Herald: "Rivers Casino dealmaker eyes the next big project" By Anna Marie Kukec July 25, 2011