Breen in 2017
|Born||November 23, 1958|
Neil Breen (born November 23, 1958) is an American independent filmmaker, architect and real-estate agent. His films have garnered a cult following for their nonsensical writing, editing and low-budget nature.
Life and career
According to Neil Breen, he has worked in architecture and as a real-estate agent before moving on to self-finance his own films.
Breen writes and stars in each of his own films. The characters he portrays hold advanced and often superhuman abilities and use them in grandiose struggles against corrupt forces and institutions. Fateful Findings features Breen as a hacker imbued with supernatural powers by a magical stone he found as a child, who uses his skills to expose government and corporate corruption, while in Double Down he plays a rogue government super-agent. In other films, his protagonist is a god-like, messianic, or otherwise chosen figure; Pass Thru, for example, has Breen playing a messianic entity who arrives from the future to wipe out 300 million "bad people" to usher in a new era of peace. Breen has said that his films have a "sense of social responsibility" and reflect the "mystical or paranormal side of life."
His first feature film, Double Down, was notably featured on RedLetterMedia's Best of the Worst online series. Since then, Breen's films have been picked up by arthouse theaters and film festivals, including the 2012 "Butt-Numb-A-Thon" and the 2013 Seattle International Film Festival. In Paste Magazine's 2014 list of the 100 best B movies, Breen's film I Am Here....Now was ranked 21st, with the author noting that he thought Breen would one day earn a place in the "terrible movie hall of fame" alongside Ed Wood and Tommy Wiseau. Breen's third film, Fateful Findings, was compared to Wiseau's The Room by the former film's North American distributor Panorama Entertainment. Breen's fifth feature film, Twisted Pair, was released in 2018.
- Double Down (2005)
- I Am Here.... Now (2009)
- Fateful Findings (2012)
- Pass Thru (2016)
- Twisted Pair (2018)
- "Neil Breen - Biography". IMDb.
- "Neil Breen". Facebook.
- Bell, Josh (February 6, 2014). "Local filmmaker Neil Breen's unique (and terrible) movies earned him a cult following". Las Vegas Weekly. The Greenspun Corporation. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "In praise of Neil Breen, an auteur who finds new and exciting ways to be bad with every movie he makes". Chicago Reader.
- Jones, Alan. "Bad-movie lovers need to meet Neil Breen". The Dissolve. Pitchfork Media. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- Howard, Jason. "An Interview with Director Neil Breen". Influx Magazine. Influx Magazine. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- Vorel, Jim (9 May 2014). "The 100 Best "B Movies" of All Time". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Breen, Neil (7 May 2018). "I have just completed TWISTED .....it is all DONE !!!! The editing , post production, special effects , music ,.....it's ALL DONE !!!! It's my 5th theatrical feature film as Producer, Writer, Director . Very different than my past 4 films . BIGGER ,BETTER , ACTION, UNIQUE !!!".