|Chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission|
October 24, 2018 – November 5, 2020
|Preceded by||Kevin J. McIntyre|
|Succeeded by||James Danly|
August 10, 2017 – December 7, 2017
|Preceded by||Cheryl LaFleur|
|Succeeded by||Kevin J. McIntyre|
|Member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission|
|Assumed office |
August 8, 2017
|Preceded by||Anthony T. Clark|
Buffalo, New York
|Education||St. Lawrence University|
University of Cincinnati
Indranil "Neil" Chatterjee is an American lawyer, political advisor, and government official who was a member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. He was Chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission from August 10, 2017 to December 7, 2017, and again from October 24, 2018 until he was removed from the position by President Donald Trump on November 5, 2020.
Chatterjee was confirmed by the United States Senate as a member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on August 3, 2017. On August 10, 2017, President Donald Trump designated Chatterjee as chairman of FERC. On December 7, 2017, Kevin J. McIntyre succeeded Chatterjee as the chairman of FERC. On October 24, 2018, President Donald Trump again designated Chatterjee as Chairman of the Commission. The day after the 2020 election, Chatterjee was fired as chairman in retaliation for his openness to incorporating market-based carbon pricing into electricity markets. He remained a commissioner until his term expired in 2021.
- Northey, Hannah (July 13, 2018). "'It's messy' when conservative philosophies collide". E&E News. Washington, D.C. Retrieved March 22, 2020.
- Tamborrino, Kelsey (October 25, 2018) “Chatterjee tapped for top FERC spot,” POLITICO
- "Neil Chatterjee replaced as FERC chairman after promoting carbon pricing". Washington Examiner. 2020-11-06. Retrieved 2020-11-07.
- Traywick, Catherine (November 3, 2015). "Meet the McConnell adviser determined to stop the Clean Power Plan". Bloomberg Government. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Personnel to Key Administration Posts". The White House. May 8, 2017. Archived from the original on May 9, 2017. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- Heidorn Jr., Rich; Brooks, Michael (May 25, 2017). "Updated: No Fireworks for FERC Nominees at Senate Hearing". RTO Insider. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- Bravender, Robin; Northey, Hannah (November 10, 2016). "McConnell aide could head to FERC in lame duck — sources". E&E News. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- Traywick, Catherine (May 8, 2017). "Trump Names Nominees for U.S. Energy Agency Crippled by a Missing Quorum". Bloomberg. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Trump appoints Chatterjee to chair energy commission". CNBC. Reuters. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Tamborrino, Kelsey (October 25, 2018) "Chatterjee tapped for top FERC spot," POLITICO
Media related to Neil Chatterjee at Wikimedia Commons