|Lord Prior of the Order of Saint John|
24 June 2014 – 2015
|Preceded by||Anthony Mellows|
|Succeeded by||Sir Malcolm Ross|
|14th Administrator of the Northern Territory|
17 February 1997 – 30 October 2000
|Governor-General||Sir William Deane|
|Preceded by||Austin Asche|
|Succeeded by||John Anictomatis|
Neil Raymond Conn|
17 August 1936
Sydney, New South Wales
|Spouse(s)||Lesley Jennifer née Flood|
University of Sydney|
Officer of the Order of Australia|
Bailiff Grand Cross of the Order of St John
Life and career
Conn studied economics at the University of Sydney, graduating BSc and later MEc. He studied for his doctorate (PhD) at Duke University in the United States, before lecturing in economics at Sydney University from 1961 to 1975. He left the university in 1975 to work for two years as Principal Administrator with the OECD in Paris, followed by four years as Deputy Secretary of the New South Wales Treasury.
Conn was appointed by the newly independent Northern Territory government as Chief Executive Officer of the territory's treasury and was the Administrator of the Northern Territory from 17 February 1997 to 30 October 2000.
Following his retirement as administrator, Conn became foundation chairman of Original IT Investments Pty Ltd, an information technology incubator. From 2001 to 2004 he was the deputy chairman and lead independent director of the publicly listed company International All Sports Ltd.
Order of St John
At the 2007 St John Ambulance Australia National Priory Conference, he was nominated as chancellor of the St John Priory in Australia, replacing Villis Marshall.
In 2014, Conn was promoted as the Lord Prior of the Order of Saint John, becoming its most senior non-royal figure. He was succeeded by Sir Malcolm Ross in 2016.
|Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)||26 January 1996|
|Bailiff Grand Cross of the Order of St John||2012[N 1]|
|Knight of the Order of St John||21 March 1997|
|Centenary Medal||1 January 2001|
|Australian Defence Medal|
|Anniversary of National Service 1951–1972 Medal|
|Service Medal of the Order of St John (Most Venerable Order of Saint John)||2009[N 2]|
|Cross pro Merito Melitensi (Sovereign Military Order of Malta)||2014|
- "Lord Prior of St John" Archived 2015-01-31 at the Wayback Machine., Order of St John website.
- "Debrett's - The trusted source on British social skills, etiquette and style-Debrett's". Debrett's. Retrieved 2016-12-13.
- "Neil Raymond Conn", Government of the Northern Territory website.
- www.gg.gov.au, Governor-General of Australia website.
- Fullarton, Donald (7 January 2014). "Lord Prior Designate appointed". News. St John Scotland. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- It's an Honour – Officer of the Order of Australia – 26 January 1996
- St John Ambulance Australia - 2012 Annual Report – Bailiff Grand Cross of the Order of St John – 2012
- "No. 54712". The London Gazette. 21 March 1997. p. 3484.
- It's an Honour – Centenary Medal – 1 January 2001
- The post-nominals of the Venerable Order of St John were recognised in the Australian Honours Order of Wearing prior to 5 October 1992. From 6 October 1992 the post-nominals are no longer recognised and cannot be used outside of the organisation.
- The Service Medal of the Order of St John was recognised in the Australian Honours Order of Wearing prior to 5 October 1992. From 6 October 1992 the medal is now no longer recognised for wear.
- Conn's profile on the Northern Territory Government website
- Order of St John website
- Who's Who in Australia
| Administrator of the Northern Territory
1997 – 2000
| Lord Prior of the Order of Saint John
2014 - 2015
Sir Malcolm Ross