Neil Francis Costa
Minister for Health, Care and Justice, the Honourable Neil F Costa MP
Assumed office |
|Political party||Gibraltar Liberal Party (GLP)|
Bayside Comprehensive School|
University of Wales
Inns of Court School of Law
|Portfolio||Minister for Health, Care and Justice|
|Website||Neil Costa at the Government of Gibraltar website|
The Hon. Neil Francis Costa is a Gibraltarian barrister and politician affiliated to the Gibraltar Liberal Party (GLP). In December 2011 he was elected an MP to the Gibraltar Parliament, and was elected Minister for Tourism, Public Transport, Commercial Affairs and the Port. After the Ministerial reshuffle of December 2014 he became Minister for Business and Employment. Since October 2016, he has been Minister for Health, Care and Justice.
Costa was born in Gibraltar and came from a working class background, He grew up in the government flat which his parents shared with his grandparents in Laguna Estate and he attended St. Anne's Middle School. His father was a stonemason and his mother a cashier at Safeway supermarket. He stood out when he obtained three A grades at A-level at Bayside Comprehensive School. He then went to study Law and Spanish at the University of Wales in Cardiff, where he graduated with distinction. Costa completed his law studies at the Inns of Court School of Law in London and he was admitted to the London Bar in November 2002 and the Gibraltar Bar in January 2003.
Costa has been involved in the politics of Gibraltar since his student days, and he joined the Gibraltar Liberal Party in 1999. In 2007 he was elected to Parliament and became Shadow Minister for Health and Social Services. In 2011, along with Dr. Joseph Garcia and Steven Linares, formed the group of GLP candidates in the alliance with the Gibraltar Socialist Labour Party (GSLP) to contest the 2011 general elections.
- Gibraltar Chronicle, ed. (2016-10-20). "Govt announces major reshuffle". Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- VOX, ed. (16 March 2007). "Neil Costa: A Liberal with a Bright Future in Law – Or Politics". Archived from the original on 4 September 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Gibraltar Chronicle, ed. (11 November 2011). "Garcia, Costa and Linares Make Up Liberal Part Of Alliance". Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "New Government Announces Ministers' Portfolios Today". Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Interview with Neil Costa, minister for business and employment, The Report, 12 October 2015