Neil Shubin after speaking at the University of Tulsa
December 22, 1960 |
|Alma mater||Columbia University
Harvard University Ph.D.
|Known for||Discovery of Tiktaalik roseae|
|Institutions||University of Chicago
Field Museum of Natural History
|Thesis||The morphogenesis and origin of the skeletal pattern of the tetrapod limb (1987)|
Neil Shubin (born December 22, 1960) is an American paleontologist, evolutionary biologist and popular science writer. He is the Robert R. Bensley Professor of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, Associate Dean of Organismal Biology and Anatomy and Professor on the Committee of Evolutionary Biology at the University of Chicago along with being the Provost of the Field Museum of Natural History. He is best known for his discovery of Tiktaalik roseae.
Raised outside Philadelphia, Shubin earned a Ph.D. in organismic and evolutionary biology from Harvard University in 1987. He also studied at Columbia University and the University of California, Berkeley.
The Communication Awards of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine awarded a $20,000 prize for excellence in communicating science to the general public to Michael Rosenfeld, David Dugan, and Neil Shubin in Film/Radio/TV on October 14, 2015 for "Your Inner Fish". The awards are given to individuals in four categories: books, film/radio/TV, magazine/newspaper and online, and are supported by the W. M. Keck Foundation. Neil Shubin hosted Your Inner Fish on PBS. The show was produced by Windfall Films and Tangled Bank Studios, a production company for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute that makes materials available for science classroom education.
He was elected to the American Philosophical Society in 2017 .
- Your Inner Fish: A Journey Into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body. New York: Pantheon Books, 2008. ISBN 978-0-375-42447-2
- The Universe Within: Discovering the Common History of Rocks, Planets, and People. Pantheon Books, New York City 2013, ISBN 978-0-307-37843-9
- All Miller Fellows Sorted by Term (1987)
- Neil H. Shubin—John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- "Neil Shubin Home Page". The University of Chicago. Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- , Elizabeth Vargas (reporting), "Person of the Week: Neil Shubin", ABC News, April 7, 2006, retrieved April 8, 2012
- "2015 Communication Awards Ceremony by NAS-Webcast". The New Livestream. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Your Inner Fish Miniseries, retrieved April 16, 2014
- "Classroom Resources for Your Inner Fish". Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
- "American Philosophical Society: Newly Elected - April 2017".
- Universe within, discovering common history, New York Journal of Books
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Neil Shubin|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neil Shubin.|
- Online reading group discussion of Neil Shubin's "Your Inner Fish"
- Video (and audio) of interview/discussion about "Wet Paleontology" with Neil Shubin and Carl Zimmer on Bloggingheads.tv
- on YouTube
- Neil Shubin on The Colbert Report. Jan 14, 2008
- Neil Shubin Lecture on "Your Inner Fish" at The University of Texas
- PBS website for 'Your Inner Fish' series