Nelsen Middle School
|Nelsen Middle School|
|Type||Public Middle School|
|School district||Renton School District|
|Number of students||1020 to 1040|
|Color(s)||purple, yellow, and white|
|Athletics||wrestling, volleyball, girls and boys soccer, girls and boys basketball, track, flag football|
In the past few years Nelsen has completed a major remodel with peaked roofs and a peaked entry arch complementing its original boxy building shapes.
It serves 6th through 8th graders from the south-east hill of Renton. Students feed from Benson Hill, Cascade, Renton Park, Talbot Hill and Tiffany Park elementary schools. About half of the students from Talbot Hill elementary school also feeds into Nelsen. Nelsen Middle School graduates continue on to Lindbergh High School.
In 2006, 47% of students were eligible for free or reduced lunch. 25% of students were Asian American, 17% were African American, 41% were European American, 10% Hispanic, and 7% other. The school mascot, formerly "Braves" are now the "Hawks".
There was an attempted abduction of a 12-year-old girl student, in March 2003, while walking home from the school. There was subsequent controversy when the van driver who went to her assistance was criticised.
Steven Turner was named the Washington Middle Level Science Teacher of the Year by the Washington Science Teachers Association in October 2000
Brian Hoskins, Vocal Music, won a Renton Chamber of Commerce Ahead of the Class, Excellence In Education Award in May 2006.
Awards and grants
- Nelsen received a technology grant from the Gates Foundation in January 1996.
- Kristen Wong won one of the individual awards in the statewide MathCounts competition in March 1996 and the school came third in the team competition.
- "Nelsen Middle School", Great Schools
- "School Guide", Seattle Times, August 8, 2006
- "Van pool driver faulted after rescuing girl", Seattlepi.com, March 28, 2003
- "Police seek help locating man who tried to abduct girl", Seattlepi.com, April 4, 2003[dead link]
- "Two science teachers are tops", Seattlepi.com, October 13, 2000
- "Fifteen Renton Teachers Recognized for Excellence in Education Ahead of the Class" Archived 2008-07-04 at the Wayback Machine., Renton Chamber of Commerce, April 14, 2006
- "Gates Grant Will Put Renton Students Online", Seattle Times January 8, 1996
- "Central Area School Wins Mathematics Competition - Middle School Becomes Four-Time State Champion", Seattle Times March 20, 1996