Nelson De La Nuez
|Nelson De La Nuez|
Pop Artist/ King of Pop Art®
|Born||February 26, 1959
|Known for||Painter, Artist, Printmaking, Designer|
|Notable work||Wicked Witch
The Donut Queen
|Movement||Pop Art, Satire, Parody|
Nelson De La Nuez (born in 1959) in Havana, Cuba, is an American Contemporary Pop Artist and visual satirist.
Early life & Career
Nelson De La Nuez was born in Havana, Cuba and came to the US at age seven. He arrived to Southern California via plane with his family in 1966. As one of the world's most collected, significant pop artists today, Nelson De La Nuez is a born iconoclast with a great American story, having come from Cuba at age 7 with nothing but talent. He had a growing obsession with TV, cartoons and pop culture and immersed himself in everything American. This would be the beginning of what would lead him towards a successful career. In 1980-82, he began combining popular culture with parody and satirical humor. This is when he created what became known as Art Juxtaposed.  He is the creator and owner of the Museum of Humor Art (the MOHA) which sells all of the artist's humor, parody genre works of art. He is known for developing his unique, trademarked style called, "Art on the Edge," which is creating artwork on all four sides of the canvas. Although his style was always defined as pop art, it evolved and took on different elements as he merged with surreal worlds, old time advertising, board games and nostalgia to create his original pop art with the "Art on the Edge." Using his unique juxtaposition of pop culture and surrealism, blended with America’s rich culture and history, De La Nuez created works of art that are now considered timeless. He became recognizable in the 80's for his use of iconic games such as Monopoly and newspaper backgrounds as well as luxury items utilizing fun, pop bubbles to emphasize in a tongue in cheek manner the luxury lifestyle. He created and copyrighted these as well as set the trend long before any others who appeared in the art world many years later. His style spoke to the baby boomers and everyone who remembered their childhood toys, music, films, politics and icons and those who lived or aspired to live a jet setting lifestyle.
De La Nuez is known as the "King of Pop Art" ® for his original style of combining pop art and surrealism. He sold several pieces of art to Michael Jackson, on June 11, 2009. De La Nuez delivered the art to Jackson's home on June 15, not long before he died. They were the final three pieces of art to enter into Michael Jackson's vast art collection. On December 2, 2009, De La Nuez delivered the three pieces to Michael Jackson's children that were ordered before his death. He opened Pop Land Studios in Los Angeles, CA where he paints and creates. His art is sold online under his trademarked name "King of Pop Art®."
Nelson De La Nuez was the 70th Anniversary artist for the Warner Bros. Wizard of Oz (1939 film) film, and created original works of art that toured the world. "Ditching Dorothy," became a limited edition US postage stamp. His Oz originals all sold in auction for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation in New York at the Emerald Gala. He is also listed on the Who's Who List of the Most Collected Artists of Our Time.
De La Nuez is an international designer of brands for companies, including ICON leather shoes, purses and accessories with a collection of his pop art on them, high end designer men's shirts, a wallpaper collection for both the retail and hospitality industry by Designer Wallcoverings®. His company sells the luxury brand products separately on the site NelsonDeLaNuez.com Heys Luggage partnered with the artist for four uniquely themed collections that contained four different sized pieces of luggage in each, which sold out at high end department stores worldwide such as Neiman Marcus  and Lord and Taylor.
Nelson De La Nuez made an in store appearance for Neiman Marcus, sponsored by 805 Magazine, signing autographs and taking photos with fans while his popular shoe themed art hung in their designer shoe salon. A crowd of paparazzi gathered inside the store.
The ultra exclusive magazine, Private Air Luxury Homes, for wealthy private jet owners and luxury homeowners, featured the artist in the December 2013 issue in an article and glossy layout that revealed his rise to fame in the art world after years of incredibly hard work, and the beginning of his Pop Land Studios.
De La Nuez was a spokesperson for Fredrix Print Canvas; They partner with world renown artists. His art is sold in galleries worldwide. The artist donates artwork to several carefully selected charities that he partners with, especially many animal causes, as well as contributing yearly for the Geffen Playhouse charity auctions for the Backstage at the Geffen Gala  event in which he makes an appearance, walking the red carpet and has raised over $500,000 for their charity. The theater dedicates a wall to his art and stars such as Tom Hanks, Warren Beatty, Clint Eastwood, Jane Lynch, Julie Andrews, Carol Burnett, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Elton John and director George Lucas and Aaron Sorkin attend and bid on the art each year. De La Nuez has hundreds of celebrity collectors.  David Copperfield, the "greatest illusionist of our time," is one of many and owns the artist's "Magic Monkey" painting.
His original art prices at the end of 2013 sold to a private collector for $65,000  each and his work quickly sold out completely at Art Basel Miami at SCOPE and Red Dot shows and have each year since, as well as at the prestigious Hamptons Art Fairs. His artwork values have now tripled. His work is sold at all of the prestigious art fairs internationally. Sotheby's purchased  3 original pieces of Nelson De La Nuez's recently to auction off in future contemporary art auctions.
Mr. De La Nuez’s collectors includes Sarah Jessica Parker, who recently added a piece of his shoe themed work "Material Girl," to her collection in New York. In 2016, his one-off originals averaged around $65,000 to $105,000 depending on the size and media. Bagatelle LA nightclub/restaurant used all of the artist's artwork for the interior decor pop art for the walls and threw him lavish red carpet parties where his celebrity collectors and fans attended to celebrate his work and his birthdays.
As of 2017, the artist's galleries that sell his work are located in the most prestigious, wealthy locations in the world and his documented art sales have soared up to $105,000. His artwork was also featured on the cover of Modern Luxury publications Aspen magazine and their quarterly Gallery Guide for the art collectors.
The Donut Queen, 1 of Michael Jackson purchases/Pop Art Surreal Painting on Wood
- Pop Americana: The Pop Art of Nelson De La Nuez (2010) ISBN 978-0-578-05974-7
- Art Juxtaposed: Nelson De La Nuez Calendar TeNeus Publishing Group ISBN 3-8327-0667-4
- Art Juxtaposed: Nelson De La Nuez Boxed Note cards (20) TeNeus Publishing Group ISBN 3-8238-4728-7
- Gina Samarotto. "The King of Pop Art Nelson De La Nuez". pp. 27, 51–53. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Nelson De La Nuez | Park West Gallery Artist". Bio.parkwestgallery.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Nelson De La Nuez Art for Sale". Art Brokerage. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Dager, Wendy. "King of Pop Art Sold His Work to King of Pop Ventura County Star July 19, 2009
- Levin, Harvey. "MJ's Final Gifts to Kids:Disney, Dali & Ice CreamHarvey Levin /Legal Source December 2, 2009
- 1871media.com - firstname.lastname@example.org. "Collecting". TodaysVintage.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Warner Bros "De La Nuez art raises money for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation" Warner Bros PR Newswire, October 1, 2009
- "Welcome to Imagine Fine Art.com". Legendsgallerylajolla.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "ICON Shoes and Handbags - designer leather goods". Iconshoes.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Global License Magazine "Pop Artist Partners with Icon Shoes" March 23, 2011
- "Nelson De La Nuez Wallpapers : Designer Wallcoverings, Specialty Wallpaper for Home or Office". Designerwallcoverings.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Heys USA. "Pop Artist Nelson De La Nuez Partners With Heys USA for Sophisticated Pop Art Luggage Collection". PRNewswire.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Nelson De La Nuez Pop Art Designed Luggage". Neimanmarcus.com. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Nelson De La Nuez Material Girl Collection Fashionista Luggage". lordandtaylor.com. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- Neiman Marcus and 805 Magazine [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D6Dzu7xuOU | September 29, 2013
- Gina Samarotto. "The King of Pop Art Nelson De La Nuez". pp. 27, 51–53. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- Art Business News "World-renowned pop artist Nelson De La Nuez partners with Fredrix Print Canvas to promote canvas line" October 2009
- Thierry EHRMANN. "Nelson DE LA NUEZ Auction Sales and Art Market Information + Artist Prices, Biography and Images by artprice.com". Web.artprice.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Backstage at the Geffen". Geffenplayhouse.com. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Backstage at the Geffen Red Carpet/ Nelson De La Nuez Pop Art Wall/Auction: Honoring Sir Elton John/David Furnish & George Lucas". Luriegallery.com. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- "Backstage with David Copperfield". David Copperfield Whosay.com. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "Backstage at the Geffen Gala Auction: Nelson De La Nuez Pop Art". Biddingforgood.com. Retrieved 2015-02-20.
- "Bruce Lurie Gallery: Nelson De La Nuez Prestigious Collectors/Corporations/Auctions". Luriegallery.com. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- "Pop Artist Making Collectors Ecstatic when Artwork Values Triple, Galleries Selling Out Internationally". PRNewswire.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Krpoyan, Eliza . "King of Pop Art: Nelson De La Nuez Celebrates at Bagatelle L.A.-Michael Jackson's favorite artist pops Moët for his birthday New York Observer, March 3, 2016
- Cardamenis, Forrest. "Young affluence and prolific artist generate art boom in Aspen Luxury Daily, January 28, 2016
- Samarotto, Gina. "The King of Pop Art: Nelson De La Nuez/Clip from Article". Private Air Luxury Homes Magazine. Vol. 2 no. 6. pp. 27, 51–53. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
Talk with him about his craft and watch as a glimpse into the deliciously complex mind of the artist unfurls.