Nelson Head Light
Nelson Head Light, 2008
New South Wales
|Year first constructed||1872 (first)|
|Year first lit||1876 (current)|
|Tower shape||one-story building and no tower|
|Markings / pattern||yellow building|
|Height||10 feet (3.0 m)|
|Focal height||128 feet (39 m)|
|Characteristic||occulting white and red sector|
|NGA number||111-6056 (currently unlisted)|
|Managing agent||Coastal Patrol Port Stephens|
Nelson Head Light, also known as Nelson Head Inner Light, is an inactive unusual lighthouse located on Nelson Head, a headland northeast of the town of Nelson Bay, New South Wales, Australia, near Halifax Park, on the southern shore of Port Stephens. The light served guiding ships into the port. Unlike other lighthouses the Nelson Head Light has no tower. Instead, the light was shown through the window of the lantern room, and later mounted outside.
The station was established in 1872, four kerosene lamps shown from a wooden tower.
The current cottage was built three years later and the light was first shown from the house in 1876. The light was installed in an octagonal lantern room attached to the house and shown through a 3 metres (9.8 ft) window. The house was occupied by 14 resident keepers and the Maritime Service Board until 1985.
In 1946 the light was electrified and in 1984 it was automated. Since 1986 the Nelson Head Lighthouse and Rescue Station Trust has supported the preservation of the house. In 1990 the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol was appointed as trustee, and the house is now managed by Marine Rescue NSW under the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol was unified. The house currently serves as a maritime museum.
In 1995 the light was replaced with a solar powered lantern which was attached outside the previous lantern room. In early 2003 it was deemed unnecessary and the light was shut down.
The house is accessible by road from Nelson Bay. It is open daily for visits.
References and notes
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Australia: New South Wales". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "Nelson Head Inner Lighthouse Nelson Bay Tourist Information". nelsonbaygetaway.com.au. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- Searle, Garry. "Nelson Head". Lighthouses of New South Wales. SeaSide Lights.
- Plaque on the site, can be seen in "Grant and Tracey's Lighthouse Pages - Nelson Head". maizels.nu.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nelson Head Light.|
- "List of Lighthouses of New South Wales". Lighthouses of Australia. Lighthouses of Australia Inc.
- The museum
- Nelson Head Lighthouse
|This Australian lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|