Nelson J. Perez
Nelson Jesus Perez
|Bishop of Cleveland|
Archbishop-Elect of Philadelphia
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||July 11, 2017|
|Installed||September 5, 2017|
|Predecessor||Richard Gerard Lennon|
|Ordination||May 20, 1989|
|Consecration||July 25, 2012|
by William Murphy, Charles J. Chaput, and Paul Henry Walsh
|Born||June 16, 1961|
|Previous post||Auxiliary Bishop of Rockville Centre|
Titular Bishop of Catrum
|Motto||CONFIDE ET SPERA (Trust and Hope)|
|Coat of arms|
Nelson Jesus Perez
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Nelson Jesus Perez (born June 16, 1961) is an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church who serves as the 11th Bishop of Cleveland since September 5, 2017. Pope Francis appointed him Archbishop of Philadelphia on January 23, 2020, and his installation there is scheduled for February 18.
Early life and education
Nelson Jesus Perez was born in Miami, Florida, on June 16, 1961, to David and Emma Perez. He attended P.S. Number 4 and Memorial High School in West New York, New Jersey. Perez earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Montclair State University in 1983 and taught at Colegio La Piedad, a Catholic elementary school in Puerto Rico. He then entered Philadelphia's St. Charles Borromeo Seminary where he earned a Master of Arts and a Master of Divinity degree in 1988 and 1989 respectively.
Ordination and ministry
Perez was ordained to the priesthood of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia on May 20, 1989.
His first assignment after ordination was as curate at Saint Ambrose Parish, Philadelphia (1989–1993). He also served as assistant director of the Office for Hispanic Catholics (1990–1993); as the founding director of the Catholic Institute for Evangelization (1993–2002); as pastor of Saint William Parish, Philadelphia (2002–2009) and as pastor of Saint Agnes Parish, West Chester.
Auxiliary Bishop of Rockville Centre
Bishop of Cleveland
Archbishop of Philadelphia
- Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 08.06.2012" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. June 8, 2012. Retrieved January 24, 2020.
- "Resignations and Appointments, 11.07.2017" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. July 11, 2017. Retrieved January 24, 2020.
- "Pope Francis Names Bishop Nelson Perez as New Bishop of Cleveland; Pope also Names Father Andrew Bellisario as New Bishop of Juneau". Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Roebuck, Jeremy (23 January 2020). "Bishop Nelson Perez of Cleveland named Philadelphia's next archbishop, replacing Charles Chaput". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved January 23, 2020.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia
|Catholic Church titles|
Richard Gerard Lennon
| Bishop of Cleveland