Nelsons Plains, New South Wales
New South Wales
Flooding at Nelsons Plains in 2007
|Population||324 (2011 census)|
|• Density||16.4/km2 (42/sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)[Note 1]|
|Area||19.8 km2 (7.6 sq mi)[Note 2]|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10)|
|• Summer (DST)||AEDT (UTC+11)|
|LGA(s)||Port Stephens Council|
|State electorate(s)||Port Stephens|
Nelsons Plains is a primarily rural suburb of the Port Stephens local government area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia. It is situated on Seaham Road between the Hunter and Williams rivers. At the 2011 census the suburb had a population of 324.
Nelsons Plains is a wedge-shaped suburb, bisected by Seaham Road, with the point of the wedge in the south-eastern corner where the Williams River joins the Hunter River. This part of the suburb is generally less than 2 metres (7 ft) above river level, making it subject to periodic flooding, as happened during the June 2007 Hunter Region and Central Coast storms. In the north-eastern corner of the suburb elevations reach up to 42 m (138 ft) but to the east of Seaham Road, between the road and the Williams River, the ground slopes quickly downward to a height of less than 2 m (7 ft) above river level, making this part of the suburb also subject to flooding.
- Elevations as shown on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- Area calculation is based on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Nelsons Plains (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Suburb Search - Local Council Boundaries - Hunter (HT) - Port Stephens". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Retrieved 29 June 2008.
- "Nelsons Plains". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 29 June 2008.
- "Port Stephens". New South Wales Electoral Commission. 28 March 2015. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "Paterson". Australian Electoral Commission. 19 October 2007. Retrieved 29 June 2008.
- "Nelsons Plains". Land and Property Management Authority - Spatial Information eXchange. New South Wales Land and Property Information. Retrieved 29 June 2008.
Media related to Nelsons Plains, New South Wales at Wikimedia Commons