Krstičić in 2011
|Full name||Nenad Krstičić|
|Date of birth||3 July 1990|
|Place of birth||Belgrade, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
|Red Star Belgrade|
|2015||→ Bologna (loan)||16||(0)|
|2017–||Red Star Belgrade||11||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:27, 5 November 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18:28, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
Nenad Krstičić (born 3 July 1990) is a Serbian professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Serbian club Red Star Belgrade. He is a survivor of Burkitt's lymphoma, due to which he spent over a year in treatment. He debuted for the Serbian national team in 2013.
Early career and cancer diagnosis
Krstičić began his career at OFK Beograd and joined Sampdoria on 1 September 2008 at the insisting of Giuseppe Marotta, who believed the 17-year-old was one of the most talented players he had ever brought to the club. While playing for the youth team, he played in the 2011 Torneo di Viareggio as one of the allowed over-age players. He suffered a knee injury and had surgery performed to correct his meniscus injury, after which doctors unexpectedly diagnosed him with Burkitt's lymphoma and allegedly told Krstičić he had 48 hours to live. Luckily, Sampdoria's medical staff was able to reverse the cancer growth and Krstičić lived on to play football, although the condition was a great setback in his career. Over the course of his cancer episode, Krstičić lost 55 pounds and his blood was compromised. Krstičić finally made his debut for Sampdoria in a UEFA Europa League match against Debrecen on 16 December 2010. On 2 December 2012, he scored his first goal for Sampdoria against Fiorentina.
On 2 February 2015, Krstičić was signed by Bologna in a temporary deal. The club also signed Júnior Costa and Daniele Gastaldello from the Genoese club outright. However, Krstičić was injured in March. His contract with Sampdoria was terminated on 18 July 2016.
On 25 July 2016, Krstičić signed for La Liga side Alavés on a free transfer. Fellow countryman Aleksandar Katai, who also suffered from a serious illness earlier in his career, joined Alavés later the same summer, and the two became midfield teammates.
Red Star Belgrade
- As of 5 November 2017
- As of 18 December 2013
|Serbia national team|
- "Betshoot: Nenad Krsticic: Fought for his life, and won". July 29, 2017. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- M. Radović (July 23, 2013). "Blic Sport: Krstičić: Živim za dan kada ću postati kapiten Sampdorije" (in Serbian). Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Mozzart Sport: BAJKA NENADA KRSTIČIĆA: Pre četiri godine na ivici smrti, danas reprezentativac Srbije" (in Serbian). October 5, 2012.
- "Telegraf: POVRATAK OTPISANOG: Krstičić: Život mi je visio o koncu, a sad igram za Srbiju!" (in Serbian). October 8, 2012.
- "Sportska centrala: Nenad Krstičić pobedio tešku bolest" (in Serbian). April 17, 2010. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
-  Youtube: Fiorentina v Sampdoria (2-2) Nenad Krsticic Goal (48') Serie A Highlights - 2 December 2012
- "Krsticic ceduto al Bologna a titolo temporaneo" (in Italian). U.C. Sampdoria. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Lesione al collaterale mediale per Krsticic" (in Italian). Bologna F.C. 1909. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Rescissione del contratto per Krsticic, il grazie e il saluto della Samp" (in Italian). U.C. Sampdoria. 18 July 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Krsticic, fuerza, calidad y coraje para el centro del campo albiazul" [Krsticic, strength, skill and courage to the white-and-blue centre of the midfield] (in Spanish). Deportivo Alavés. 25 July 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Mozzart Sport: Katai za MOZZART otkrio da je nekoliko meseci vodio bitku sa zdravljem: Bio sam nenormalno "plav" i lekari su utvrdili da bolujem od trombocitopenije" (in Serbian). 13 March 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- "Ненад Крстичић потписао!". Red Star Belgrade official website (in Serbian). 23 August 2017. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "KRAJ: Crvena zvezda – Partizan 0:0 (VIDEO)". mozzartsport.com (in Serbian). 27 August 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "N.Krstičić on Soccerway". Soccerway. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- (in Italian) Nenad Krstičić