This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Neni is located in the Anaocha Local Government Area of Anambra State. Its geographic coordinates are 6" 09' 00 North, 7" 02' 00 East. It also hosts the headquarters of the Anaocha Local Government Area.
The present traditional leader of Neni town is HRH Damian O. Ezeani (Igwe Ezeani Ugonabo).
Its neighboring towns are Akwaeze, Oraukwu, Agulu, Obeledu, Ichida, Nimo, Aguluzigbo, Adazi-Ani, Adazi-Nnukwu, and Nri. Neni is made up of ten villages, namely: Umueze, Eziaja, Umudioka, Etitinabo, Ezineni, Umunri, Umuabani, Umukabia, Okofia and Ugwudunu.
Traditional Festivals in Neni Community
Neni has many cultural festivals that are being observed yearly; Igu Aro/Ogwe – performed by Okofia village on every 1st day of January each year at the Oye Market Square in the morning to herald the New year and its good tidings to the community. Village Days – observed on 26 December of each year such as Umueze Day, Eziaja Day, Umuabani Day, etc. It’s a day mapped out by some villages to interact and celebrate re-union of the villages with fan and fanfare. New outing of dances and masquerades are featured on that day.
Ufejioku Umueze – this festival is celebrated on every second week of August each year to announce the maturation of new yam as well as display the new yam harvested at "ODU UMUEZE " at the market square before new yam could be sold at Oye Market Neni.
New Yam Festival – this is celebrated on every third week in August each year at the Igwe’s palace with fanfare as dance and masquerades displays are featured with " Ndi Nze na Ozo and Igwe’s Cabinet present ", the next day is general Iwa-Ji by the community. Mmanka Arts and Culture– this is displayed by the "Nka Diokas " of Umudioka village at Mmanka stadium on every 31 December of each year.
"Itu Mbubu, Igbu-ichi, Iwa-eze, masquerades and dances feature in the Arts and Culture displays at Mmanka Festival. This festival attracts distinguished personalities from all over the country to Neni. Masquerade Carnival – The Masquerade Carnival display at the Oye Market Square by all the villages on 1 January, every year is synonymous to Neni culture as this festival attracts spectators from within Anaocha Local Government Area and environs.
Neni is the ancestral home of prominent Nigerians, including:
- Colonel (retired) Robert Akonobi; Former military governor of Anambra State.
- Chief Anthony Enukeme OON; Industrialist and founder of Tonimas Group.
- Chief Vincent Amaechi Obianodo MON; Chairman of Young Shall Grow Group.
- Chief Daniel O. Okemuo; Chairman/CEO Dan Dollars Group (Dan Dollars Oil Nigeria Limited, Dan Dollars Motors Nigeria Limited)
- Engr. Paul N. Enidom; MD/CEO of Paul-B Nigeria Plc.
- Chief Patrick Tobechukwu Chidolue; Chairman of Chelsea Group.
- Chief Michael Okpala also known as "Power Mike" MON; undefeated World Heavyweight wrestling champion.
- John Obi Mikel; Nigerian professional footballer and former Chelsea midfielder
- Chioma Stephanie Obiadi; Miss Nigeria 2016
- Chukwuka Emelionwu; CEO Kas-Vid International