|Stable release||2015.8 (July 22, 2016 ) [±]|
|Operating system||OS X 10.8+|
NeoOffice is an office suite for the OS X operating system developed by Planasema Inc. It is a commercial fork of the free/open source OpenOffice.org that implements most of the features of OpenOffice.org for OS X, including a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program, and graphics program, and adds some features not present in the OS X versions of LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice.
NeoOffice was the first OpenOffice.org fork to offer a native OS X experience, with easier installation, better integration into the OS X interface (pull-down menus at the top of the screen and familiar keyboard shortcuts, for example), use of OS X's fonts and printing services without additional configuration, and integration with the OS X clipboard and drag-and-drop functions. Subsequently, both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice followed NeoOffice's lead and implemented similarly native OS X versions.
NeoOffice began as a project to investigate methods of creating a native port of OpenOffice.org to OS X. The project now called NeoOffice was originally dubbed "NeoOffice/J", reflecting its use of OS X's Java integration to enable a native application. A related project was NeoOffice/C, which was a simultaneous effort to develop a version using Apple's Cocoa APIs. But NeoOffice/C proved very difficult to implement and the application was highly unstable, so the project was set aside in favor of the more promising NeoOffice/J. The "/J" suffix was dropped with version 1.2, since there was no longer another variety of NeoOffice from which to distinguish it. Many of these releases were preceded by a version that only Early Access Members could download; these versions were released about a month before the official release date.
NeoOffice 3.1.1 and later is based on OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, though recent versions include stability fixes from LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice.
In 2013 NeoOffice moved to a commercial distribution model via the Mac App Store. As of 2016, the source code is still available for free, but the software package is only available with the purchase of a commercial license.
|OOo version||Version||Release date||Release Notes|
|126.96.36.199||NeoOffice/C 0.0.1||June 22, 2003||Incendiary Goblin build|
|1.1.2||NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 2||September, 2004|
|1.1.3||NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta||December, 2004|
|1.1.4||NeoOffice/J 1.1 RC||March, 2005|
|NeoOffice/J 1.1||June 22, 2005|
|2.0||NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha||November, 2005|
|2.0.1||NeoOffice 1.2 Beta||January 2, 2006|
|NeoOffice 1.2||February 1, 2006|
|2.0.2||NeoOffice 1.2.2||March 30, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC||April 25, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha 2 PowerPC||May 9, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha 3 PowerPC||May 23, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha Intel||June 5, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha 2 Intel||June 19, 2006|
|2.0.3||NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha 4||July 1, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta||August 1, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2||August 15, 2006|
|NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 3||August 29, 2006|
|2.1.0||NeoOffice 2.1||March 26, 2007||Introduced an icon set with designs that more closely resemble typical OS X icons than those of OpenOffice.org.|
|2.2.1||NeoOffice 2.2.1||August 27, 2007|
|NeoOffice 2.2.2||October 9, 2007||Bug fixes|
|NeoOffice 2.2.3||March 17, 2008||QuickTime video support, Menus available when no documents are open, Import images from scanners and cameras|
|NeoOffice 2.2.4||June 16, 2008||Media browser support, native floating tool windows, support for newer trackpad gestures, support for horizontal scrolling|
|NeoOffice 2.2.5||September 15, 2008||Bug fixes, speed improvements, apple remote support in Impress, last version to support OS X 10.3.|
|NeoOffice 2.2.6||October 27, 2009|
|3.0.1||NeoOffice 3.0||March 31, 2009||Introduced access to the OS X spellchecker, grammar checker, address book and media browser; users of languages not supported by the OS X spellchecker can use the Hunspell system originally used. It also improved support for Microsoft Word 2007, Excel 2007 and PowerPoint 2007 documents, and for spreadsheets with Visual Basic for Applications macros that made their debut in version 2.1. Speed improvements, command clicking on window titlebar, OS X 10.5 grammar checker. Requires OS X 10.4 or above.|
|NeoOffice 3.0.1||October 27, 2009|
|NeoOffice 3.0.2||February 1, 2010||Added native OS X text highlighting, smoother text kerning and more|
|3.1.1||NeoOffice 3.1.1||May 10, 2010||Added support for "Look Up in Dictionary" context menu item in Writer to look up a word's definition, if it exists, in OS X's Dictionary application. Also, users can view 10 versions of each NeoOffice Mobile file, The NeoOffice Mobile window is collapsible, and the NeoOffice Mobile menu uses less space in NeoOffice's menubar.|
|NeoOffice 3.1.2||September 7, 2010||Temporary files are encrypted when FileVault is enabled. Fix for bugs that cause embedded images to be lost after saving Writer or Impress documents.|
|NeoOffice 3.2||19 April 2011||OS X 10.7 Lion support, more font support, smaller PDFs|
|NeoOffice 3.3||22 August 2012||High resolution text on Retina displays, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Gatekeeper, Cocoa replaces Java|
|NeoOffice 3.4||22 October 2013||OS X 10.9 support, last version to support 10.6 & 10.7|
|NeoOffice 2013||9 August 2013||First NeoOffice version available in Mac App Store|
|NeoOffice 2014||12 June 2014||64-bit and OS X 10.10 support|
|NeoOffice 2015||9 September 2015||OS X 10.11 support, 10.8 minimum required|
Supported file formats
Listed here, in the order of appearance in the Save As dialogue box, are the file formats supported for saving documents in NeoOffice 3.1.2. In cases where NeoOffice is used to edit a document originally in a Microsoft format, NeoOffice can save to that format without loss of formatting.
Word processor application
- OpenDocument Text (.odt) *
- OpenDocument Text Template (.ott)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Text Document (.sxw)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Text Document Template (.stw)
- Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)
- Microsoft Word 95 (.doc)
- Microsoft Word 6.0 (.doc)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- StarWriter 5.0 (.sdw)
- StarWriter 5.0 Template (.vor)
- StarWriter 4.0 (.sdw)
- StarWriter 4.0 Template (.vor)
- StarWriter 3.0 (.sdw)
- StarWriter 3.0 Template (.vor)
- Text (.txt)
- Text Encoded (.txt)
- HTML Document (NeoOffice Writer) (.html)
- AportisDoc (Palm) (.pdb)
- DocBook (.xml)
- Microsoft Word 2007 XML (.docx)
- Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)
- OpenDocument Text (Flat XML) (.fodt)
- Pocket Word (.psw)
- Unified Office Format text (.uot)
- OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods) *
- OpenDocument Spreadsheet Template (.ots)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Spreadsheet (.sxc)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Spreadsheet Template (.stc)
- Data Interchange Format (.dif)
- dBase (.dbf)
- Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP (.xls)
- Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP Template (.xlt)
- Microsoft Excel 95 (.xls)
- Microsoft Excel 95 Template (.xlt)
- Microsoft Excel 5.0 (.xls)
- Microsoft Excel 5.0 Template (.xlt)
- StarCalc 5.0 (sdc)
- StarCalc 5.0 Template (.vor)
- StarCalc 4.0 (.sdc)
- StarCalc 4.0 Template (.vor)
- StarCalc 3.0 (.sdc)
- StarCalc 3.0 Template (.vor)
- SYLK (.slk)
- Text CSV (.csv)
- HTML Document (NeoOffice Calc) (.html)
- Microsoft Excel 2007 XML (.xlsx)
- Microsoft Excel 2003 XML (.xml)
- OpenDocument Spreadsheet (Flat XML) (.fods)
- Pocket Excel (.pxl)
- Unified Office Format spreadsheet (.uos)
- OpenDocument Presentation (.odp) *
- OpenDocument Presentation Template (.otp)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Presentation (.sxi)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Presentation Template (.sti)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP (.ppt)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP Template (.pot)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Drawing (NeoOffice Impress) (.sxd)
- StarDraw 5.0 (NeoOffice Impress) (.sda)
- StarDraw 5.0 (NeoOffice Impress) (.sdd)
- StarImpress 5.0 (.sdd)
- StarImpress 5.0 Template (.vor)
- StarImpress 4.0 (.sdd)
- StarImpress 4.0 Template (.vor)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 XML (.pptx)
- OpenDocument Presentation (Flat XML) (.fodp)
- Unified Office Format presentation (.uop)
- OpenDocument Drawing (Impress) (.odg)
- OpenDocument Drawing (.odg) *
- OpenDocument Drawing Template (.otg)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Drawing (.sxd)
- NeoOffice 1.0 Drawing Template (.std)
- StarDraw 5.0 (.sda)
- StarDraw 5.0 Template (.vor)
- StarDraw 3.0 (.sdd)
- StarDraw 3.0 Template (.vor)
- OpenDocument Drawing (Flat XML) (.fodg)
- OpenDocument Database (.odb) *
- OpenDocument Formula (.odf) *
- NeoOffice 1.0 Formula (.sxm)
- StarMath 5.0 (.smf)
- MathML 1.01 (mml)
(*Pre-chosen save default format.)
By default, NeoOffice loads and saves files in the OpenDocument file format, although this can be changed by the user. The OpenDocument file format is an XML file format standardized by OASIS (Organisation for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards).
Sun first released OpenOffice.org under both the LGPL and SISSL, later under only the LGPL, with a requirement for copyright assignment for any contributions to the main code base, which allowed Sun to create proprietary versions of the software (notably StarOffice). NeoOffice chose not to assign its code to Sun, which prevented Sun from using NeoOffice code in official OpenOffice.org versions.
There were initially some attempts to resolve the licensing differences and foster more direct cooperation and code-sharing between the NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org developers. However, the NeoOffice developers said that they preferred to work separately from OpenOffice.org because "coordination requires a significant amount of time." The OpenOffice.org developers said that "a proposal to work together has been made, and NeoOffice developers refused". The NeoOffice developers subsequently expressed support for LibreOffice and the launch of The Document Foundation.
- pluby (22 July 2016). "NeoOffice 2015.8 Classic Edition released". trinity.neooffice.org. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "NeoOffice features". neooffice.org. Planasema Inc. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Pluby (7 November 2013). "Mac App Store complaints". trinity.neooffice.org. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "NeoOffice FAQ". neooffice.org. Planamesa Inc. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- 2.2.2 Release Notes
- 2.2.3 Release Notes
- NeoOffice 2.2.4 Announcement
- 2.2.4 Release Notes
- NeoOffice 2.2.5 Announcement
- 2.2.5 Release Notes
- NeoOffice 2.1 release announcement
- NeoOffice 3.0 Announcement
- New Features of 3.0.2
- NeoOffice 3.1.1 released
- "NeoOffice® 3.2 for Mac OS X Released". NeoOffice. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Template:NeoOfficeWords". NeoWiki. NeoOffice. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "NeoOffice® 3.3 for Mac OS X Released". NeoOffice. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- pluby (22 October 2013). "NeoOffice 3.4 released". trinity.neooffice.org. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- pluby (9 August 2013). "NeoOffice 2013 is now in the Mac App Store". trinity.neooffice.org. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- pluby (12 June 2014). "NeoOffice 2014 released in the Mac App Store". trinity.neooffice.org. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- pluby (9 September 2015). "NeoOffice 2015 Classic Edition released". trinity.neooffice.org. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "NeoOffice Download". trinity.neooffice.org. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- NeoOffice FAQ's
- FAQ Openoffice.org and NeoOffice from the OOo wiki
- The Document Foundation (28 September 2010). "OpenOffice.org Community announces The Document Foundation". documentfoundation.org. Archived from the original on 30 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2010.