Neo Kian Hong
|Neo Kian Hong|
Neo on board the USS McCampbell on 18 May 2011
|Service/branch||Singapore Armed Forces|
|Years of service||1983–2013|
|Other work||see #Civil career|
|Neo Kian Hong|
Neo Kian Hong is a Singaporean civil servant and former army general. He was the seventh Chief of Defence Force of the Singapore Armed Forces from 2010–2013 and held the rank of Lieutenant-General. Before that, he served as the Chief of the Singapore Army from 2007–2010. After retiring from active military service in 2013, Neo joined the civil service and became the Permanent Secretary (Education Development) in the Ministry of Education.
Neo received his secondary education in Victoria School, where he was also a National Cadet Corps cadet, and his pre-university education in Nanyang Junior College. He was awarded the Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship in 1985 and graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering (Upper Second Class Honours) degree in electrical and electronic engineering from King's College London. He subsequently completed a Master of Science degree in management of technology from the MIT Sloan School of Management. He also completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School in 2013.
Neo joined the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) in 1983. Throughout his career in the SAF, he has held various appointments, including: Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion Singapore Guards; Commander, 7th Singapore Infantry Brigade; Assistant Chief of the General Staff (Operations); Commander, 9th Division; Commander, Army Training and Doctrine Command; Chief of Staff, Joint Staff; Chief of Army (2007–2010). He attended the Indonesian Army Command and Staff Course (SESKOAD) in 1994. He also served as the SAF's contingent commander for the International Force for East Timor (INTERFET) in 1999 and was involved in establishing the national contact and tracing system in Singapore during the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak.
Neo succeeded Desmond Kuek as the Chief of Defence Force (CDF) of the SAF on 31 March 2010 and relinquished his previous appointment as the Chief of Army to Chan Chun Sing on 26 March. He was promoted from the rank of Major-General to Lieutenant-General on 1 July 2010.
- SAF Overseas Service Medal, in 2000.
- Public Administration Medal (Military) (Silver), in 2003.
- Public Administration Medal (Military) (Gold), in 2007.
- Long Service Medal (Military), in 2008.
- Legion of Merit (Degree of Commander), in 2008.
- Bintang Kartika Eka Paksi Utama, in 2009.
- Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand, in 2010.
- Darjah Panglima Gagah Angkatan Tentera (Honorary Malaysian Armed Forces Order for Valour (First Degree)), in 2011.
- Bintang Yudha Dharma Utama (Grand Meritorious Military Order), in 2012.
- "Speech by Mr Masagos Zulkifli BMM, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Home Affairs, at the 10th NCC Affirmation Ceremony on Saturday, 10th April 2010, at the Singapore Expo Hall 2 at 3.00pm". MOE. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Distinguished Alumni". Nanyang Junior College. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Change in Chief of Defence Force and Chief of Army". MINDEF. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Mr Neo Kian Hong to be Permanent Secretary (Education Development)". Press Release, Public Service Division. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Change of Chief of Defence Force and Chief of Army". MINDEF. 6 February 2007. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Recognising SAF Personnel". MINDEF. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Chow, Jermyn (27 March 2013). "New Chief of Defence Force takes over reins of SAF". The Straits Times. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "SAF Leadership". MINDEF.
- "Chief of Defence Force Receives Prestigious Military Award from Malaysia". MINDEF. 4 October 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Chief of Defence Force receives Indonesia's highest military award". AsiaOne News. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
Lieutenant-General Desmond Kuek
|7th Chief of Defence Force
31 March 2010 – 26 March 2013
Major-General Ng Chee Meng
Major-General Desmond Kuek
|Chief of the Singapore Army
20 March 2007 – 26 March 2010
Brigadier-General Chan Chun Sing
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neo Kian Hong.|