|Birth name||Neon Hitch|
May 25, 1986 |
|Genres||Pop, electropop, dance-pop, electronic rock, pop-rap|
|Labels||#WeRNeon/FanLabel The Beats
Neon Hitch (born 25 May, 1986) is an English singer and songwriter. She was signed to Mike Skinner and Ted Mayhem's label, The Beats, before it closed down. She was later discovered on MySpace by Benny Blanco, who flew her to New York City to work with him. Their work together earned her a music publishing deal with EMI and a record deal with Warner Bros. Records. Neon's debut album, Eleutheromaniac, is slated for a 2015 independent release.
Born in Nottingham before moving at a young age to the countryside east of London, Hitch resented her parents for her birth name, Neon, and wanted to change it to something more conventional. Her father was a lighting technician. When their house burned down, her mother, Irene Gardiner, bought a caravan to live in. They then began street performing, making and selling jewelry and clothing around Europe, and consequently, she never attended school. By the age of four, Hitch was traveling and performing with the Archaos circus. At age of ten, she began writing poetry which led to her writing lyrics. Her boyfriend noticed that she could sing and encouraged her to hone her singing. By the time she was in her teens, Hitch was trained as a trapeze artist, fire swinger and stilt walker and had performed across Europe. Her family was featured in a BBC documentary. At the age of sixteen, Hitch moved to India for a few years before resettling in London to start her music career.
2010–2012: Beg, Borrow and Steal
On 18 February 2010, it was announced that Hitch was signed to Warner Bros. Records by Kara DioGuardi and that she would begin recording her debut album, Beg, Borrow and Steal, in March 2010 with Benny Blanco. Hitch also worked with producer Greg Kurstin. She released promo single "Get Over U", co-written by singer Sia, for free in January 2011 and to digital retailers in February 2011. This was followed by "Silly Girl", "Bad Dog" (which was intended to be the first single of the album) and "Poisoned with Love", the latter which appeared in Teen Wolf and Now That's What I Call Music! 40. She also released a series of covers and mash-up covers of songs by other artists, including Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level", Waka Flocka Flame's "No Hands" and Kreayshawn's "Gucci Gucci". Hitch was also featured on "Ass Back Home" by Gym Class Heroes, which has peaked at number twelve in the Billboard Hot 100. Hitch released during 2012 the lead single of Beg, Borrow and Steal, "Fuck U Betta" and another single "Gold", co-written by singer Bruno Mars; both songs peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart.
2013–present: Happy Neon, 301 to Paradise, 24:00 and Eleutheromaniac
On 7 January 2013, Hitch announced her EP title Happy Neon which was a collaboration with producer Happy Perez. Happy Neon was released for free through Billboard.com on January 14, 2013. On November 12, 2013 Neon Hitch was featured on campus.ie where she revealed that she and her team had completely scrapped the Beg, Borrow and Steal album because she said she "felt there was not enough of my soul in Beg, Borrow and Steal" and discussed the release of a mixtape called 301 to Paradise in early 2014. Hitch said that the mixtape was a very good preview of what was going to come out on her brand new debut album to be released in 2014. On 3 December 2013, Neon Hitch announced that her new mixtape, 301 to Paradise, will be released on January 3, 2014. The mixtape was produced and co-written by NYC-based hip-hop group and songwriting duo Kinetics & One Love, and features two verses from rapper Kinetics. Neon Hitch revealed that some of her favorite songs on the mixtape include "Some Like It Hot" and "Red Lights", the latter being about her "Bonnie and Clyde experience in India. On December 25, 2013 Neon released "Some Like It Hot" as the first song from the 301 to Paradise mixtape. On December 31, 2013 she released a snippet of "Gypsy Star" and on January 2, 2014 a snippet of "Red Lights", both songs from the mixtape.
Neon announced via a live chat on May 11, 2014, that after almost four years, she had parted ways with Warner Bros. Records. She also confirmed that her Beg, Borrow & Steal album was scrapped, and she would be releasing a new album titled Eleutheromaniac. She also announced that her mixtapes, Happy Neon and 301 to Paradise will also be released to digital retailers on May 20, 2014. On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 Neon appeared on the Big Morning Buzz Live hosted by Nick Lachey and performed "Warner Blvd" for the first time. Neon was joined by four dancers and two horn players from New Orleans. In light of her recent label departure, Neon said that "Warner Blvd" is about taking her freedom back and encouraged fans to join her in acting as their "own label".
On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Neon shot the music video for the intended lead single of Eleutheromaniac, "Yard Sale", in Paramount, California at the Cinderella Mobile Home Park. The video was directed by Charlie Zwick and fans were invited to participate in the shoot as extras via Neon's Facebook Group Page. The "Yard Sale" music video captures Neon moving forward and letting go of her past, the yard sale is symbolic of her selling all her past belongings. On August 4, 2015 Yard Sale was released as single and the music video was released the next day. The song was produced and co-written by frequent collaborators Kinetics & One Love.
In January 2015, Hitch released "Sparks" as the first single of Eleutheromaniac. On March 1, 2015, Hitch released her EP 24:00 as a surprise release for free, which was recorded in 24 hours according to herself. On April 22, 2015 Neon released "Eleutheromaniac", the title track of her debut album to digital retailers as an advancement of the album. Eleutheromaniac slated for a Fall 2015 release  On August 21st Neon released a new song titled "Pussy PowR" on YouTube.
- Eleutheromaniac (2015)
Awards and nominations
|2012||NewNowNext Awards||Herself||Brink of Fame: Music Artist||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||"Ass Back Home" (Gym Class Heroes feat. Neon Hitch)||Choice Single by a Group||Nominated|
- "Senior V.P. of A&R Kara DioGuardi Signs Neon Hitch to Recording Deal with Warner Bros. Records". Pr-inside.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Neon Hitch: Review". hihimag.com. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Neon Hitch Tribe Gathering. YouTube. 11 May 2014. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Collar, Matt. "Neon Hitch: Biography". allmusic. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Bark, Theo. Neon Hitch Trades Circus Life for Music Industry – Top 100 Acts at SXSW 2011. Spinner. March 1, 2011.
- "Meet Amy Winehouse's room mate, Neon Hitch". Friedmylittlebrain. 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Neon Hitch Shows Who's 'Betta' with First No. 1 Solo Hit.". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2012-03-25.
- “Fuck U Betta” coming soon.neonhitch.net/news. January 6, 2012
- "Neon Hitch's 'Happy Neon' EP Premiere: Listen To Exclusive Stream". Billboard. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Neon Hitch, the bohemian popstar - interview". Campus.ie. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Neon Hitch: on the 301 to Paradise from The Miller, London Bridge". Crumbs For Men. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Neon Hitch on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- ""Warner Blvd (Big Morning Buzz Live)" by Neon Hitch - Show Performance - VH1.com". vh1.com. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- [dead link][unreliable source?]
- NEON HITCH X KINETICS & ONE LOVE. Creem Magazine.
- "NEON HITCH". tumblr.com. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "iTunes - Music - Eleutheromaniac - Single by Neon Hitch". iTunes. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Meet Neon Hitch, the Bisexual Singer Who May Have Had Sex With Amy Winehouse. Huffington Post. August 28, 2012.
- Neon Hitch’s Tattoos. stealherstyle.net
Cite error: Invalid
<ref> tag; name "timeout" defined multiple times with different content
- Official website
- Neon Hitch on Facebook
- Neon Hitch on Instagram
- Neon Hitch on Twitter
- Neon Hitch on SoundCloud