Nepal at the 2006 Winter Olympics
|Nepal at the|
2006 Winter Olympics
|NOC||Nepal Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
Dachhiri Sherpa (opening) |
Kamal Chitrakar (closing)
|Winter Olympics appearances (overview)|
Nepal sent a delegation to compete at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy from 12–28 February 2006. This was Nepal's second appearance at a Winter Olympic Games, the first having been four years prior. The only athlete sent by Nepal was Dachhiri Sherpa, competing in cross-country skiing. In his only event, the men's 15 kilometre classical, he finished in 94th place.
Nepal first participated in Olympic competition at the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The nation did not take part in the next Summer Olympics, but have participated in every Summer Games since the 1972 edition. Nepal did not enter the Winter Olympic Games until the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, these 2006 Games were their second appearance in a Winter Olympics. The only athlete sent by Nepal to the Turin Olympics was Dachhiri Sherpa, competing in cross-country skiing. He was the flag bearer for the opening ceremony while Kamal Chitrakar was the flag bearer for the closing ceremony. Chitrakar was, in 2010, a member of the executive committee of the Nepal Olympic Committee.
Dachhiri Sherpa was 36 years old at the time of the Turin Olympics. He would later go on to represent Nepal at the 2010 Winter Olympics and 2014 Winter Olympics. He only took up skiing three years prior to these Olympics. In his only event, the 15 kilometre classical, he posted a time of 56 minutes and 47 seconds, which put him in 94th place out of 96 people who finished the race.
|Dachhiri Sherpa||Men's 15 km classical||56:47.1||94|
- "Nepal". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Nepal at the 2006 Torino Winter Games". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "List of flag bearers – Torino 2006 – Olympics". Eurosport. 10 February 2006. Archived from the original on 29 April 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Flag Bearers for the Closing Ceremony – Olympic News". International Olympic Committee. 26 February 2006. Archived from the original on 16 October 2016. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "NOC 'shocked' by SC verdict". Nepal Republic Media Pvt. Ltd. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Dachhiri Sherpa Bio, Stats, and Results". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "'I'll come last at the Olympics' predicts Nepal's bricklaying skier". Digital Journal. Agence France-Presse. 30 January 2014. Archived from the original on 14 May 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Cross Country Skiing at the 2006 Torino Winter Games: Men's 15 kilometres". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 3 August 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2018.