|Conservation status||FAO (2007): endangered|
|Country of origin||Sicily, Italy|
The Nero Siciliano is a breed of domestic pig from the Mediterranean island of Sicily, in southern Italy. It is raised mainly in the province of Messina, particularly in the Monti Nebrodi. For this reason it is often known as the Nero dei Nebrodi; it may also be called Nero delle Madonie or Nero dell'Etna, for its association with the Madonie mountains and mount Etna respectively. It is one of the six autochthonous pig breeds recognised by the Ministero delle Politiche Agricole Alimentari e Forestali, the Italian ministry of agriculture and forestry.
A herdbook was established in 2001, and is kept by the Associazione Nazionale Allevatori Suini, the Italian national association of pig breeders. At the end of 2012 there were 3,642 pigs registered.
The Nero Siciliano is raised both for fresh meat and for salumi. Animals for direct consumption are usually slaughtered at 6–7 months, at a weight of 60–70 kg (130–150 lb), while those for the production of preserved meats are usually slaughtered at 10–11 months, when they weigh 110–120 kg (240–260 lb). The principal salumi are the Salame Sant'Angelo, which has IGP status, and Prosciutto di Suino Nero dei Nebrodi; capocollo, guanciale, and coppa are also produced.
- Barbara Rischkowsky, D. Pilling (eds.) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Accessed May 2014.
- Daniele Bigi, Alessio Zanon (2008). Atlante delle razze autoctone: Bovini, equini, ovicaprini, suini allevati in Italia (in Italian). Milan: Edagricole. ISBN 9788850652594. p. 445–46.
- Breed data sheet: Nero siciliano/Italy. Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed September 2013.
- Norme tecniche del Libro Genealogico e del Registro Anagrafico della specie suina: Allegato 1 a D.M. 11255 del 13 June 2013 (in Italian). Ministero delle Politiche Agricole Alimentari e Forestali. pp. 8–9. Accessed September 2013.
- Strutture Zootecniche (Dec. 2009/712/CE - Allegato 2 - Capitolo 2) (in Italian). Ministero delle Politiche Agricole Alimentari e Forestali. Section I(b). Archived 4 December 2013.
- Andrea Cristini, et al. (23 June 2013). Relazione del comitato direttivo alla assemblea generale dei soci (in Italian). Rome: Associazione Nazionale Allevatori Suini. Archived 7 May 2014.
- Luigi Liotta (n.d.). Il Suino Nero Siciliano (in Italian). Associazione Italiana Razze Autoctone a Rischio di Estinzione. Archived 7 November 2014.
|This Italy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pig-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|