Buildings in Nerul,Navi Mumbai as seen from the Palm beach road
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Navi Mumbai|
|Airport||BOM CSIA, Mumbai|
Nerul is a residential and commercial node of the city of Navi Mumbai. It consists of more than 50 sectors. It is one of the biggest, and most populated residential nodes of the city.
Nerul along with Seawoods-Darave is the second most developed zone of New Mumbai after Vashi. Nerul along with Seawoods-Darave is one of the most expensive, promising and developing realty locales in the satellite city. Nerul has a huge floating and residential population moving in from South Mumbai and the western suburbs, making it more upmarket by the day.
Nerul however still has parts with an intrinsic rustic feel about it. The estimated population of Nerul is around 10,00,000. Nerul is the only node that has two railway stations namely Nerul railway station and Seawoods–Darave railway station. About one lakh people travel from Nerul and 50,000 from Seawoods–Darave railway station.
Nerul is home to many educational institutes like
- Terna Dental college
- Terna Medical college
- Delhi Public School
- Don Bosco Senior Secondary School
- D Y Patil International School, Nerul
- Premier Government Institute in Merchant Navy (Pre Sea Training)
- D.A.V. Public School
- Pad. Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Physiotherapy
- Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Hospitality and Tourism studies
- Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Nursing
- Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Law
- Dr. D.Y. Patil college of Ayurveda and Hospital
- Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Education
- SIES Graduate School of Technology
- Academy of Art & Design
- Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology
- Terna Engineering College
- Dr. D.Y. Patil Polytechnic
- Dr. D.Y. Patil Medical College
- SIES College of Management Studies
- Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Architecture
- Mahatma Gandhi Mission's MGM's High School / Law / Science College and Vocation Course College
- Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology
- Terna Engineering College
- Dr. D.Y. Patil Dental College
- Terna Vidyalaya
- Apeejay School
- Podar International School
- St. Augustine's High School
- St. Xavier's High School and Junior College of Science
- Sterling Institute of Management Studies
- Sterling Institute of Pharmacy
- Sterling College
- Sterling School
- Presentation School
- SBOA School
- School for Blind and Deaf
- Ryan International School
- Nutan Marathi Vidyalaya
- D.S.M. High School & Junior College
- Tilak Public School
- Tilak Education Society
- Red Camel International School (Burooj Realization)
- Swami Sukhdevanand High School (Shirvane Nerul Sct-1)
SIES School of Packaging
Hospitals in Nerul
- Terna Sahyadri Hospital and Research centre, Nerul Navi Mumbai.
- Padmashree Dr D Y Patil Hospital & Research Centre.
- Surya Hospital
- Harish Hospital
Major religious places
Nerul is also known for its Hillock Brahmagiri that houses following:
- Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha (Sec 19)
- Mata Amritanandamayi Math
- Balaji Temple
- Prasanna Kalyana subramanya Temple (Murugan Temple)
- Sri Ayyappa Temple
- SIES Uttar Kamakshi & Bajrangbali Hanuman Temple( 33 feet idol )
- Swaminarayan Temple
- Sri Shaneeshwar Temple
- Habib Manzil Islamic center
- Jama Masjid (Biggest mosque in Navi Mumbai)
- Little Flower Church.
- Shiv Temple Sector 18
- Shri Swami Samarth Kendra Sector 18
- International Center For Sree Narayana Guru Studies Sector 22
Roads and transportation
A major part of the Palm Beach Road passes through Nerul & Sion - Panvel Highway.
The township like the rest of Navi Mumbai is divided into sectors, which are further divided into plots. As such, the address system is more organized and the township easy to navigate compared to central Mumbai. Nerul, being a planned township, features roads that intersect at right angles. LED displays on traffic signals count down to the toggle between red and green for better traffic flow efficiency.
Auto rickshaws provide the primary means of personal local transportation. Travelling to other nodes by auto rickshaw usually entails the payment of one-and-a-half times the regular meter fare, or some other negotiated fare hike. Now lot is AC bus routes are started by Nmmt bus service. BEST and NMMT buses serve as a much cheaper means of transportation. Buses starting from or passing through Nerul allow passengers direct and fast passage to destinations across Mumbai. The buses here though seems more than 15 years old.
BEST Routes in Nerul
|BEST||502||Wadala Depot to Nerul Sec 46/48|
|BEST||503||Rani Laxmibai Chowk (Sion) to Kalamboli Bus Stn|
|BEST||504||Wadala Depot to Jalvayu Vihar (Kharghar)|
|BEST||505||Bandra Depot to CBD Belapur Bus Stn|
|BEST||506||Jijamata Udyan (Byculla) to Nerul Rly Stn|
|BEST||507||Santacruz Rly Stn (E) to Nerul Bus Stn|
|BEST||511||Mulund (W) Check Naka Bus Stn to Nerul Bus Stn|
|BEST||512||Mulund (W) Check Naka Bus Stn to Nerul Bus Stn|
|BEST||C-52 EXP||Wadala Depot to Kalamboli Bus Stn|
|BEST||C-53 EXP||Ghatkopar Depot to Kalamboli Bus Stn|
|BEST||AS 503||Wadala Depot to Kalamboli Bus Stn|
Nerul is connected by rail on the harbour line, part of the Mumbai Suburban Railway. Travelling to destinations across Mumbai by rail often involves taking a train to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST). Services from Nerul to Thane has been started some years ago to reduce the crowd at Kurla.
The water supply is near constant for 10–11 months annually and the month of May has peak shortages. Occasional shut downs are often short enough to be borne through by the overhead water tanks in many apartments and the central water tower system.
Road maintenance is carried out by the NMMC. Roads in the township are generally of good quality, but often get damaged by the monsoons, as potholes are simply patched up. Maintenance of open spaces too is sadly lacking, with most open spaces resembling piles of rubble.
Restaurants and entertainment
Like any other area of Mumbai, there are many places to have chaat in Nerul. Most of these are the sweet & chaat shops together. In the evening, one can find a very large crowd (mostly the office staff, college students and school kids).Navratna Restaurant has an outlet in Seawoods. Martins and Shanghi are famous Chinese restaurants in Nerul.
Barbeque Nation has also setup its store in Nerul.
Nerul also has a good place for hangout known as Saguna Baug. Dosa Plaza also has introduced its outlet here in Nerul. Cake shop includes Ribbons & Balloons, Crossiants, Monginis, The Cake Factory, and Baker Street.
Ice-cream parlours include Naturals, Baskin Robbins, Dinshaws Melting Magic Ice Cream Parlour, HM KHOSLA, A-1 Ice Cream Parlour etc.
Nerul also has few well known Sweet marts such as Bikaner Sweets, Om sweets, Anand Sweets, Balaji Sweets, Jhama, Chaudhari Mishtan,Chandu Halwai, Raj Diary etc.
Also has a pub Ice n Spice which has a casino.
Just Books Clc, a famous Bangalore-based library, has opened its first Mumbai outlet in Nerul. JustBooks houses a collection of more than 10,000 books of different genre.
A good hangout for all the devotees, worshippers etc. is the Balaji hill near Nerul rly station. There is also a church."Little flower church" A Temple of "Sri Narayana Guru" & a similar one of "Mata Amritanandamayi". A Jain Temple & the famous Balaji temple. the hill provides a gorgeous view of western region of Nerul. The pictures of the same are provided above.
"Zapak" Gameplex for gamers has been recently introduced here. GAMEE POiNT for Gamers by Gamers.
Nerul is known for its various sports complexes. The DY Patil Stadium is one such complex which includes a world-class cricket stadium. Some of the DLF IPL matches were held here in the year 2010. There is also Nerul Gymkhana with a lot of facilities for sports. A Golf course is coming up soon in Nerul.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nerul.|