Nesodden within Akershus
|• Mayor (2011)||Nina Sandberg (AP)|
|• Total||61 km2 (24 sq mi)|
|• Land||61 km2 (24 sq mi)|
|Area rank||416 in Norway|
|• Rank||61 in Norway|
|• Density||265/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||16.1 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0216|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
Nesodden is a municipality in Akershus county, Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Follo. The administrative centre of the municipality is Nesoddtangen. The parish of Næsodden was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). The new municipality of Oppegård was separated from Nesodden on 1 July 1915.
Sunnaas Hospital, founded in 1954 as a nursing home, was authorized as a hospital in 1960, primarily to treat polio patients from Oslo in cooperation with Oslo City Hospital. The hospital is today a university hospital.
Nesodden is located on the tip of the peninsula between main Oslofjord and its arm Bunnefjorden. It includes the villages Hellvik, Fjellstrand, Bjørnemyr, Nesoddtangen, and Fagerstrand, which is also the name of a reality show that was filmed on Fagerstrand and aired on TV 2 during the first half of 2005. Nesoddtangen has passenger ferry connections to Bærum (8 min) and Oslo (12 min or 23 min).
Coat of arms
The coat of arms is designed by the architect Christian Doxrud (1917-2002) and authorized 12 December 1986. The coat of arms shows a silver triangle on a blue background as a canting of the geographical position of the municipality, which is situated on a peninsula in the Oslofjord.
Several Norwegian celebrities live in Nesodden.
- news presenters: Bjørn Hansen, illustrator Roar Hagen (VG), journalist (NRK) and author Øystein Rakkenes
- Scientists: professor em. neuroanatomist Terje Lømo; professor, archeologist Christian Keller, med. professor Johan Stanghelle
- actors: Stein Winge, Bjørn Sundquist, Pål Sverre Valheim Hagen, Jørgen Langhelle, Hildegunn Rise, and Gard B. Eidsvold
- artists: Ulf Kristiansen, Satyr (Sigurd Wongraven)
- authors: Hanne Ørstavik, Olav Njølstad
- politicians: Dagfinn Høybråten, Jan Balstad, Rikke Lind, and Gunnar Garbo
- Painters: Wenche Øyen, Per Kleiva, Helge Revold. Sculptors: Asbjørn Høglund and Nils Aasland.
- model: Helene Rask Anette Stai, Vendela Kirsebom
- singers/songwriters: Sondre Lerche, and Trine Rein.
- comedian: Åsleik Engmark
- composer: Thomas von Sonnenberg;
- athlete: Stig Roar Husby
- polar explorer: Børge Ousland
- Former residents: politicians Kåre Kristiansen, Reiulf Steen, Kjell Magne Bondevik and Tora Aasland. lawyer Arne Haugestad and musician Thomas "Happy-Tom" Seltzer.
- "Personnemningar til stadnamn i Noreg" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- Rygh, Oluf (1905). Norske gaardnavne: Akershus amt (in Norwegian) (2 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 86.
- "Immigrants and Norwegian-born to immigrant parents, by immigration category, country background and percentages of the population" (in English). ssb.no. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- Media related to Nesodden at Wikimedia Commons
- The dictionary definition of Nesodden at Wiktionary
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway
- Akershus travel guide from Wikivoyage