This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The NetBackup 6.5 Administration Console.
8.1.2 / September 12, 2018
|Type||Backup and recovery|
In computing, Veritas NetBackup (called Symantec NetBackup prior to Symantec's divestiture of Veritas) is an enterprise-level heterogeneous backup and recovery suite. It provides cross-platform backup functionality to a large variety of Windows, UNIX and Linux operating systems.
NetBackup OpsCenter, which comes bundled with the NetBackup 7.0 distribution and replaces the NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM) component used in previous versions, can manage multiple NetBackup environments. NetBackup comes with support for many hardware devices like tape drives, tape libraries, disk units. It supports, among many[quantify] other features, hot backups for major database products like Oracle; it can natively backup and restore the virtual machines of major virtualization products like VMware Infrastructure, can use Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP), and has tape vaulting. NetBackup also enables LAN-free and server-free backups in SAN fabric environments.
Product have been adapting features during previous releases, in version 8.1 support for BMR, Bare Metal Restore is not available, client-software needs to stay on version 8.0. It will be available again in 8.2.
- NetBackup CloudCatalyst – Faster, storage-efficient backups to the cloud with deduplication
- NetBackup Parallel Streaming – Faster, scale-out backups for Big Data and Hyperconverged cluster
- NetBackup for Hadoop/HDFS – Parallel, scale-out backups of Hadoop/HDFS clusters
- NetBackup for Nutanix – Parallel, scale-out backups of Nutanix clusters
- NetBackup for MySQL – Database-aware backup of MySQL databases
- Granular VMware backup and recovery – Select virtual drives with a new recovery UI
- Instant Recovery for Oracle – Access Oracle databases directly from NetBackup Appliance storage
- NetBackup Accelerator for Dell EMC Isilon – Up to 50% faster NDMP backups for Isilon filers
- Easier Deployment – Deployment templates and native packaging for all clients
- Hardened Security – Secure communications and improved encryption options for MSDP storage
- NetBackup Virtual Appliance – Deploy into existing virtual environments, including data centers and remote offices
- In 1987, Chrysler Corporation engaged Control Data Corporation to write a backup software solution. A small group of engineers (Rick Barrer, Rosemary Bayer, Paul Tuckfield and Craig Wilson) wrote the software. Other Control Data customers later adopted it for their own needs.
- In 1990, Control Data formed the Automated Workstation Backup System business unit. The first version of AWBUS supported two tape drives in a single robotic carousel with the SGI IRIX operating system.
- In 1993, Control Data renamed the product to BackupPlus 1.0 (this is why many NetBackup commands have a 'bp' prefix). Software improvements included support for media Volume Management and Server Migration/Hierarchical Storage Management.
- In late 1993, OpenVision Technologies acquired the product and Control Data’s Storage Management 12-person team. This is why, on UNIX platforms, NetBackup installs into /usr/openv. During this time, OpenVision renamed Backup Plus to NetBackup.
- On May 6, 1997 Veritas acquired OpenVision Technologies, including absorption of the NetBackup product line.
- In 2005 Symantec acquired Veritas and NetBackup became a Symantec product. Also at that time, Symantec released NetBackup 6.0, the 30th version of the software.
- In 2015 Symantec announced they would be splitting off the Information Management Business which contains NetBackup, into a new public company named Veritas Technologies Corporation.
- NetBackup Accelerator
- Technology to provide faster full backups by eliminating the need to read the entire file system
- Intelligent Data Deduplication and Auto Image Replication (AIR)
- Client or server-side deduplication via data deduplication engine that can see into the backup streams
- AIR supports backup image replication to other netbackup domain (datacenter)
- NetBackup Replication Director
- Managing snapshots and replications from NetBackup and providing the ability move them to secondary storage. Snapshots and replicas act as recovery points and get cataloged
- NetBackup Search and Operational Restore
- Built-in indexing and the ability to restore files through search. Operational restores let operators or application owners to self-serve their restore needs.
- Data Encryption
- Access Control
- Secure communications
- Management and Reporting
- Java administration console and activity monitor
- Web-based management reporting (VERITAS NetBackup Operations Manager)
- Tape volume, drive and library viewing
- Error message identification, categorization and troubleshooting
- NetBackup vCenter plugin
- Add-in for Microsoft SCVMM Console
- Localization/Language packs
- NetBackup RestAPI
- Media Management
- Enterprise Media Manager
- Automatic robotic/tape drive configuration
- Broad tape device support
- Heterogeneous Support
- Broad platform support
- Bare-metal restore, supports P2V as an option.
- Support for leading networking topologies
- Advanced software and hardware snapshot support
- NetBackup RealTime
- OpenStorage (OST) support
- Backup as a Service (BAAS)
- Limited IPv6 support
- Cloud storage/connector, as well Amazon AMI (running in Amazon EC2 cloud)
- Virtual Appliance - Deploy into existing virtual environments, including data centers and remote offices
- 8.1 was released on September 26, 2017
- 8.0 was released in December, 2016 
- 7.7 was released in July 2015 
- 7.6 was released in October, 2013 
- 7.5 was released in March, 2012
- 7.1 was released in February, 2011
- 7.0 was released in February, 2010
- 6.5 was released in August, 2007
- 6.0 was released in October, 2005 (30th release)
- 5.0 was released in December, 2003
- 4.5 was released in 2002
- 3.4 was released in June, 2000
- 3.0 was released in November, 1997
- 2.0 was released in June, 1996 (12th release)
- 1994: OpenVision coined the name NetBackup and released release 1.6
- List of backup software
- Symantec Operations Readiness Tools (SORT)
- Veritas Software (1989-2005)
- Veritas Technologies (2016-)
Compare: "Symantec NetBackup 7—Customer FAQ" (PDF). Symantec Corporation. 2009. p. 3. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
Symantec OpsCenter is a complete update of NetBackup Operations Manager, and it is free for NetBackup 7 customers.
- "Data Protection". Symantec. 2006-12-21.
- "CDC announces backup system for Unix on LAN". Government Computer News. 1990-11-26.
- "LA Times". Los Angeles Times. 1997-01-14.
- "ElReg". The Register. 2004-12-16.
- "Symantec Select Veritas". businesswire. 2015-01-28.
- "NetBackup 7.6 Feature Briefing - Targeted Auto Image Replication". Symantec. 2013-10-29.
- "NetBackup 7.6 feature Briefing - Instant recovery for VMware". Symantec. 2013-08-02.
- "Symantec OpenStorage". Symantec.
- "Veritas Launches Enterprise Data Management Solution Powered by NetBackup 8.0 to Accelerate Digital Transformation". Veritas.com. Veritas. 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "What's New in NetBackup 8.0". Veritas.com. Veritas. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "Veritas Unveils Major Advances in Cloud Backup and Turbocharges Performance with the Release of NetBackup 7.7". symantec.com. Symantec. 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "NetBackup 7.6 First Availability (FA) Program". Symantec. 2013-08-16.