This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The NetBackup 6.5 Administration Console.
8.2 / June 26, 2019
|Type||Backup and recovery|
Veritas NetBackup (called Symantec NetBackup prior to Symantec's divestiture of Veritas) is an enterprise-level heterogeneous backup and recovery suite. It provides cross-platform backup functionality to a large variety of Windows, UNIX and Linux operating systems.
NetBackup features a central master server which manages both media servers (containing the backup media) and clients. Core server platforms include Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Tru64, Linux and Windows. Netbackup database backend is based in Sybase.
NetBackup OpsCenter, which comes bundled with the NetBackup 7.0 distribution and replaces the NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM) component used in previous versions, can manage multiple NetBackup environments. NetBackup comes with support for many hardware devices like tape drives, tape libraries, disk units. It supports, among many[quantify] other features, hot backups for major database products like Oracle; it can natively backup and restore the virtual machines of major virtualization products like VMware Infrastructure, can use Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP), and has tape vaulting. NetBackup also enables LAN-free and server-free backups in SAN fabric environments.
- In 1987, Chrysler Corporation engaged Control Data Corporation to write a backup software solution. A small group of engineers (Rick Barrer, Rosemary Bayer, Paul Tuckfield and Craig Wilson) wrote the software. Other Control Data customers later adopted it for their own needs.
- In 1990, Control Data formed the Automated Workstation Backup System business unit. The first version of AWBUS supported two tape drives in a single robotic carousel with the SGI IRIX operating system.
- In 1993, Control Data renamed the product to BackupPlus 1.0 (this is why many NetBackup commands have a 'bp' prefix). Software improvements included support for media Volume Management and Server Migration/Hierarchical Storage Management.
- In late 1993, OpenVision Technologies acquired the product and Control Data’s Storage Management 12-person team. This is why, on UNIX platforms, NetBackup installs into /usr/openv. During this time, OpenVision renamed Backup Plus to NetBackup.
- On May 6, 1997 Veritas acquired OpenVision Technologies, including absorption of the NetBackup product line.
- In 2005 Symantec acquired Veritas and NetBackup became a Symantec product. Also at that time, Symantec released NetBackup 6.0, the 30th version of the software.
- In 2015 Symantec announced they would be splitting off the Information Management Business which contains NetBackup, into a new public company named Veritas Technologies Corporation.
- NetBackup Accelerator
- Intelligent Data Deduplication and Auto Image Replication (AIR)
- NetBackup Replication Director
- NetBackup Search and Operational Restore
- Data Encryption
- Access Control
- Secure communications
- Management and Reporting
- Java administration console and activity monitor
- Web-based management reporting (VERITAS NetBackup Operations Manager)
- Tape volume, drive and library viewing
- Error message identification, categorization and troubleshooting
- NetBackup vCenter plugin
- Add-in for Microsoft SCVMM Console
- Localization/Language packs
- RESTful API
- Media Management
- Enterprise Media Manager
- Automatic robotic/tape drive configuration
- Broad tape device support
- Heterogeneous Support
- Broad platform support
- Bare-metal restore, supports P2V as an option.
- Support for leading networking topologies
- Advanced software and hardware snapshot support
- NetBackup RealTime
- OpenStorage (OST) support
- Backup as a Service (BAAS)
- Limited IPv6 support
- CloudCatalyst with over 40+ cloud connectors. Archive to the cloud (AWS Glacier, MS Azure Archive, Deep Archive)
- Virtual Appliance - Deploy into existing virtual environments, including data centers and remote offices
- 8.2 released on Jun 26, 2019 
- 8.1 was released on September 26, 2017
- 8.0 was released in December, 2016 
- 7.7 was released in July 2015 
- 7.6 was released in October, 2013 
- 7.5 was released in March, 2012
- 7.1 was released in February, 2011
- 7.0 was released in February, 2010
- 6.5 was released in August, 2007
- 6.0 was released in October, 2005 (30th release)
- 5.0 was released in December, 2003
- 4.5 was released in 2002
- 3.4 was released in June, 2000
- 3.0 was released in November, 1997
- 2.0 was released in June, 1996 (12th release)
- 1994: OpenVision coined the name NetBackup and released release 1.6
- List of backup software
- Symantec Operations Readiness Tools (SORT)
- Veritas Software (1989-2005)
- Veritas Technologies (2016-)
- Backup Exec
Compare: "Symantec NetBackup 7—Customer FAQ" (PDF). eval.symantec.com. Symantec Corporation. 2009. p. 3. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
Symantec OpsCenter is a complete update of NetBackup Operations Manager, and it is free for NetBackup 7 customers.
- Boss, Nina (10 December 1997). "Oracle Tips Session #3: Oracle Backups". www.wisc.edu. University of Wisconsin. Archived from the original on 2 March 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "Data Protection". docs.google.com. Symantec. 2006-12-21.
- "CDC announces backup system for Unix on LAN". business.highbeam.com. Government Computer News. 1990-11-26. Archived from the original on 2016-03-09.
- "Veritas to Buy OpenVision Technologies". www.latimes.com. Los Angeles Times. 1997-01-14.
- "Symantec buys Veritas for $13.5bn stock". theregister.co.uk. The Register. 2004-12-16.
- "Symantec Select Veritas". businesswire.com. businesswire. 2015-01-28.
- "About the Accelerator feature in NetBackup 7.5". Veritas Support. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). 10 November 2017. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "Veritas NetBackup™ Deduplication Guide". Veritas. Veritas Technologies LLC. 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "NetBackup 7.6 Feature Briefing - Targeted Auto Image Replication". Veritas Support. Symantec. 2013-10-29.
- AbdulRasheed (5 September 2013). "NetBackup Snapshot Client Terminology Explained". VOX. Veritas Technologies LLC. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "About NetBackup Replication Director". Veritas Support. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). 13 July 2017. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "OpsCenter Operational Restore". Veritas Support. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). 12 March 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "About synthetic backups". Veritas Support. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). 25 September 2017. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "NetBackup Admin. Guide Vol. 1: Take checkpoints every __ minutes (policy attribute)". Veritas Support. Veritas Technologies LLC. 25 September 2017. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "What is the difference between multiplexing and multistreaming?". Veritas Support. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). 29 January 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "NetBackup 7.6 feature Briefing - Instant recovery for VMware". Veritas Support. Symantec. 2013-08-02.
- "Symantec NetBackup ™ Administrator's Guide, Volume I Windows" (PDF). Symantec. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). 2012. pp. 35–45(Administration Console), 833–843(Activity Monitor), 888–894(Reports utility), 912(Remote Administration Console), 915–938(Java Console). Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Antony, Erica; Tim Burlowski (January 2008). "NetBackup Operations Manager: Monitoring, Alerting and Reporting for Veritas NetBackup" (downloadable PDF attachment). Symantec. Veritas Technologies LLC (US). pp. 4–5(monitoring), 6–7(alerting), 7(3rdPartyEventMgmt.), 11–18(reporting). Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "Symantec OpenStorage". Symantec. Symantec. Archived from the original on 2013-05-30.
- "Netbackup Release Notes". Veritas.com. Veritas. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- "Veritas Launches Enterprise Data Management Solution Powered by NetBackup 8.0 to Accelerate Digital Transformation". Veritas.com. Veritas. 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "What's New in NetBackup 8.0". Veritas.com. Veritas. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "Veritas Unveils Major Advances in Cloud Backup and Turbocharges Performance with the Release of NetBackup 7.7". symantec.com. Symantec. 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "NetBackup 7.6 First Availability (FA) Program". Vox Veritas. Symantec?. 2013-08-16.