|Genre||massively multiplayer online games|
Number of employees
|3300 (in 2014) |
|Literal meaning||NetDragon (Fujian) Computer Network Information Technology Co Ltd|
Some self-developed games it operates in China are based on Western IP, such as properties of Disney, Electronic Arts, and Ubisoft. Other games based on its own IP are distributed in CIS nations, the Middle East, North Africa, Portugal, Russia, and Vietnam, etc. Some games are also available in English.
Prior to selling this side of the business to Baidu, the company created a mobile phone app store stocked with self-created games and applications. NetDragon had differentiated itself by eschewing selling apps through the distribution channels of others instead creating its own; in essence making consumers download an app to download an app but allowing them exposure to other Netdragon offerings in the process.
NetDragon has made several acquisitions regarding education and community, amongst which are included:
Sale of 91 Wireless
NetDragon’s sold its app store, 91 Wireless, to Baidu for $1.85 billion in what was hailed as the biggest deal ever in China’s IT sector. As the company controlled less than 58% of 91 Wireless, Netdragon took an estimated $1.06 billion from the sale.
The mobile applications available through this store, many of which are "91" branded, are quite disparate and include more than mobile games–running the gamut from fortune telling to wealth management.
The company sponsors the Fujian NetDragon Youth Business Foundation, which helps entrepreneurial youth achieve their dream of starting a small business.
- Disney Fantasy Online
- Heroes of Might and Magic Online
- Transformers Online
- 91 Wireless
- Promethean World
- "Company Overview". Netdragon Websoft Inc. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- "FAQ". Netdragon Websoft Inc. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- "FAQ". Netdragon Websoft Inc. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- For games based on Electronic Arts IP, see both "NetDragon Enters into Agreement with EA to Develop New Online Game -- Dungeon Keeper Online". Electronic Arts. December 1, 2008. Retrieved June 6, 2012. AND Alexander, Leigh (July 23, 2009). "EA, NetDragon Partner On Chinese Ultima Online". gamasutra.com. UBM TechWeb. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- For game based on Disney IP, see Lim, Marcus (Dec 2, 2008). "NetDragon, Disney pact for game: 'Fantasy Online' set for Spring 2009 release". Variety. Reed Elsevier Inc. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- For game based on Ubisoft IP, see "NetDragon Launches 'Heroes of Might and Magic Online' on May 30th 2008". PR Newswire. Jun 1, 2008. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- For Middle East and North Africa, see "NetDragon Sets the Bar for Arabic-language Region's Online Gaming Market." China Weekly News. NewsRX. 2011. HighBeam Research. 24 May. 2014
- For Russia and CIS nations, see "NetDragon's 'Eudemons Online' Headed for Russia." China Weekly News. NewsRX. 2009. HighBeam Research. 24 May. 2014
- For Indonesia, Malaysia, and Portugal, see "NetDragon Launches English Expansion Pack for Eudemons Online - 'The Divine Path'." Science Letter. NewsRX. 2009. HighBeam Research. 24 May. 2014
- "NetDragon Websoft : mobile gaming is booming". L’Atelier. L’Atelier BNP Paribas. November 26, 2012. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "Technology Enhanced Learning".
- "NetDragon Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2017 Financial Results". March 22, 2018. Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- "UNT launches NetDragon Digital Research Centre". May 15, 2018. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "NetDragon Signs Agreement to Acquire Edmodo to Create the Largest Global Learning Community". April 8, 2018. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "NetDragon Acquires JumpStart to Expand Its Online Communities". July 3, 2017. Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- "China's NetDragon completes Promethean acquisition". Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- Paul Carsten (14 August 2013). "Baidu says agrees to buy Netdragon's 91 Wireless for $1.85 billion". Reuters.
- "NetDragon Signs Merger Pact between Baidu and 91 Wireless." Manufacturing Close-Up. Close-Up Media, Inc. 2013. HighBeam Research. 24 May. 2014
- "Netdragon Websoft Inc (0777.HK): Full Description". Thompson Reuters. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- "NetDragon Fujian Honored with 2008 'National Outstanding Award for Internet Cultural Enterprise'." Internet Weekly News. NewsRX. 2009. HighBeam Research. 24 May. 2014