Tom Clancy's Net Force|
by Tom Clancy
|Written by||Lionel Chetwynd|
|Directed by||Robert Lieberman|
|Theme music composer||Jeff Rona|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Producer(s)||Dennis E. Doty|
|Editor(s)||Alan L. Shefland|
|Running time||200 minutes|
NetForce is a 1999 American television movie directed by Robert Lieberman, written by Lionel Chetwynd, and starring Scott Bakula. Based on the Tom Clancy's Net Force series of novels created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik, it was broadcast on ABC in 1999.
In 2005, Alex Michaels is deputy head of a new division of the FBI called "Netforce" which investigates computer crime and polices the Internet. When his boss and mentor, Steve Day, is assassinated, the evidence points to Web pioneer and owner of the company Januscorp, Will Stiles, a character said to be Bill Gates' apprentice. Stiles is about to release a new web browser that may allow him to hack into any computer in the world and to gain control of the Internet. Michaels is appointed acting Commander of Netforce, and leads his people on the hunt for Stiles.
- Scott Bakula as Alex Michaels
- Kris Kristofferson as Steve Day
- Judge Reinhold as Will Stiles
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Leong Cheng
- Joanna Going as Toni Fiorelli
- Brian Dennehy as Lowell Davidson
- CCH Pounder as FBI Director Sandra Knight
- Xander Berkeley as Bo Tyler
- Frank Vincent as Johnny Stompato
Bruce Fretts of Entertainment Weekly called it "boring cyber-nonsense". William McDonald of The New York Times wrote, "The movie does gather suspense and momentum in Part II, but so much is going on, and so much dialogue is devoted to explaining it, that no one has time to be interesting." Steve Johnson of the Chicago Tribune called it "pretty silly stuff".
- Wolk, Josh (1999-02-02). "The Pop of King". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Sandler, Adam (1998-06-25). "Bakula stars in 'NetForce'". Variety. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- McDonald, Donald (1999-02-01). "TELEVISION REVIEW; Heroes Make The Web Safe For America". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Johnson, Steve (1999-02-01). ""Tom Clancey's Netforce": Gentlemen, start your..." Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Sims, Chris (2013-07-13). "What We Learned About Technology From the 1999 Tom Clancy Film NetForce". Wired.com. Retrieved 2014-06-05.