|Headquarters||Westford, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Anil K. Singhal|
(Chairman, President, & CEO)
(Vice President & CFO)
|Revenue||US$856 million (2022)|
|US$49 million (2022)|
|US$36 million (2022)|
|Total assets||US$3.19 billion (2022)|
|Total equity||US$2.06 billion (2022)|
Number of employees
|2,331 (March 2022)|
|Footnotes / references|
In July 2015, NetScout acquired the communications business of Danaher Corporation, including Arbor Networks, Fluke Networks, Tektronix Communications and VSS Monitoring. NetScout has subsidiaries in the Cayman Islands, a tax haven.
Netscout Systems was founded by Anil Singhal and Narendra Popat as Frontier Software in 1984. NetScout created the first RMON based Ethernet Probe in 1992.
In November 2007, NetScout acquired their Sniffer, Infinistream, and Network Intelligence product lines of Network General. NetScout merged both product lines to allow their Performance Manager product to use both probes and Infinistream technologies.
In April 2011, NetScout acquired voice and video management company, Psytechnics, from Ipswich U.K. It then acquired Fox Replay, a privately held Dutch company in 2011, and later that year, after many years of partnering and complementing solutions for network switch port aggregation, NetScout moved directly into competition with its partners by acquiring privately held Simena Networks.
In October 2014, NetScout Systems announced it had entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the Communications business of science and technology company Danaher Corporation for about $2.6 billion. Upon completion of the merger, Danaher's shareholders would own nearly 59.5 percent of the combined company, and NetScout shareholders would own the remaining stake. Analyst firm 451 Research, a technology-industry syndicated research and data firm, predicted in May 2015 that with the acquisition, NetScout will be the largest company in the network visibility management space, with "more than 3,000 employees and well over $1bn a year in revenue".
In July 2015, NetScout finalized its acquisition of the communications business of Danaher Corporation, including Arbor Networks (security systems), Fluke Networks (RF and Wi-Fi network troubleshooting and analytics), Tektronix Communications (traffic inspection, customer experience management and analytics) and VSS Monitoring (network packet brokers). In a prepared statement, the company noted that the acquisition "accelerates NetScout's strategic progress by enabling the company to offer [...] innovative service assurance and cyber security solutions" and adds new employees to NetScout.
NetScout Systems acquired Network General in 2007. Network General developed the original network packet sniffer (The Sniffer) in 1986; it merged with McAfee Associates in 1997 to form Network Associates. In mid-2004, Network Associates sold off the Sniffer Technologies business to Silver Lake Partners and Texas Pacific Group for $275 million in cash to form Network General. In early 2006, Network General acquired Fidelia Technology, adding the NetVigil Business Service Monitoring technology to their network and application performance analysis tools. In September 2007, Network General agreed to be acquired by NetScout Systems for $205 million.
- Louis Columbus. "NETSCOUT Systems on the Forbes America's Best Small Companies List". Forbes.
- "US SEC: Form 10-K NETSCOUT Systems, Inc". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. May 19, 2022.
- Yahoo Business 2015.
- Ex 21 2018.
- Denise Dubie (September 20, 2007). "Network General customers face more change; NetScout's pending acquisition of Network General could cause turmoil for customers if not handled properly". Network World. Archived from the original on February 20, 2016.
- "NETSCOUT Covers Network Monitoring and Analysis".
- Stephen Lawson (28 March 2011). "NETSCOUT to Buy Psytechnics to Better Probe Networks". CIO.
- "NETSCOUT Completes Acquisition Of Fox Replay BV". October 3, 2011.
- Rodney H. Brown (22 November 2011). "NETSCOUT buys switching tech company Simena". Boston Business Journal.
- Bloomberg 2014.
- 451 Research 2015.
- "NETSCOUT Systems Completes Acquisition of Danaher's Communications Business". NETSCOUT.com. July 14, 2015. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "NETSCOUT SYSTEMS INC (Form: S-1/A, Received: 08/06/1999 16:38:42)".
- Paul F. Roberts (16 July 2004). "Sniffer relaunched as Network General Corp". Network World.
- Denise Dubie (20 September 2007). "NetScout buying Network General for $205 million". Network World.
- Renaud, Christian (May 29, 2015). Network Visibility and Monitoring Forecast: Moving Toward Comprehensive Solutions (Report). 451 Research. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Cécile Daurat (October 13, 2014). "NETSCOUT to Merge With Danaher Unit in $2.6 Billion Deal". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Form 10-Q for NETSCOUT SYSTEMS INC, 5-Nov-2015 Quarterly Report". Yahoo Business. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "SUBSIDIARIES OF NETSCOUT". Exhibit 21 for NetScout Systems. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- Comstock, George E. (2003-08-13). "Oral History of George Comstock" (PDF). Interviewed by Hendrie, Gardner. Mountain View, California, USA: Computer History Museum. CHM X2727.2004. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2017-03-23. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- Official website
- Business data for NetScout Systems, Inc.: