|Stable release||8.3 / June 20, 2015|
|Website||NETSIM product page|
NetSim is a popular network simulation and network emulation tool used for network design & planning, defense applications and network R & D. Various technologies such as Cognitive Radio, Wireless Sensor Networks, Wireless LAN, Wi Max, TCP, IP, etc. are covered in NetSim.
Model libraries in NetSim
Modeling and simulation are supported for the below mentioned technologies. Protocol libraries are available with C source code
- Aloha, Slotted Aloha
- Token Ring, Token Bus
- Ethernet - 10 Mbit/s through 40Gbit/s
- WLAN - IEEE 802.11 a/ b / g / n / ac and e
- TCP, UDP
- IPv4 and IPv6
- Routing - RIP, OSPF, BGP
- MANET covering DSR, AODV, ZRP, OLSR etc. with sinkhole / black hole attacks and intrusion detection
- GSM and * CDMA
- Internet of Things (IOT)
- Wireless Sensor Network with LEACH etc.
- Cognitive radio
- Military Radio Link 16
The Network Emulator Add on allows users to link NetSim to live applications running on real devices. This allows for real traffic to flow via the emulator and experience network effects.
In addition modules are available for sink hole attack, intrusion detection, packet encryption, packet capture using Wireshark etc.
NetSim is widely used for network design validation in
- Network R & D including custom protocol development
- Defense applications
- Railway communication networks
- Sensor network deployment
- SCADA Communication Networks 
- Wireless / Satellite link emulation
- Enterprise network / Data-centre network analyses
Custom code development
NetSim comes with an in-built development environment, which serves as the interface between User’s code and NetSim's protocol libraries and simulation kernel. Protocol libraries are available as open C code for user modification. De-bugging custom code during simulation is an advanced feature: i.e. a simulation can be started and then at user determined breakpoints in the code, users can perform single-step, step-in, step over etc. This can be carried out at various levels (depending on where the user code links) including at a per-packet interval.
Modeling and simulation services
Using NetSim modeling & simulation services are provided in a variety of networking technologies and protocols including MANET, Wi-Fi, Wi-Max, IP, MPLS, WSN, QoS, VoIP etc. This can help avoid the time consuming process of programming, customization and configuration commercial simulators to meet customer specific needs
Over 300 customers across 15 countries use NetSim, including premier enterprises like Hindustan Aeronautics, BSNL, R & D institutions such as IIT Kharagpur, BITS Pilani, Ingolstadt University - Germany, De Montfort University - UK, INTI - Malaysia, and Barry University - US. Several defense agencies, DRDO labs and space agencies like ISRO use NetSim for modeling the unique requirements of space, defense R & D and Network-centric warfare.
- Dr. Anurag Kumar Biographical Sketch
- IEEE 802.11 wireless network simulator using Verilog
- A dynamic network simulator for testing TP monitor system performance and behavior
- SCADA Communication Network Emulation
- A Simulation Tool for Real-Time Communication Scheduling on Networks-on-Chips
- TETCOS at GETEX Dubai