Net neutrality in Singapore
|Part of a series about|
|Topics and issues|
|By country or region|
Since June 2011, Singapore has had a law governing net neutrality, which promised all internet users would be treated equally on the internet. It prevents them from being discriminated against or charged differently based on the user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication.
But, Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) does not ban bandwidth throttling, which means ISPs have the option of slowing access to some websites, without rendering them unusable. It's also an open secret that most of Singapores ISPs do deep packet inspection.
On 3. March 2014, there is the first attempt of Singtel CEO to convince the public about Netneutrality. The reaction of Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) was prompt. Then on 21. November 2014: Obama’s call for net neutrality. What is Singapore’s position on the issue?
Chua Sock Koong comes back again on 22. January 2015 and makes the same statements as one year before. In the meantime the local press publishes an article about how strong net neutrality rules are. On 12. March 2015 there is a publication which basically says that Singaporeans don't need to stand up for Net Neutrality (yet).
Completed Consultations and Decisions
Although IDA document for ISP license promotes net neutrality, it does not enforce it completely. Also they do not prohibit ISP from throttling their service in accordance with their business interests. At that time, they already referenced to: Net neutrality in the United States on Wikipedia within their Response to the Policy Framework for Net Neutrality which dated back to 16. Juni 2011.
On 15. April 2015 Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) published an update on "The Internet Protocol Transit and Peering Landscape in Singapore" which is closely related to the overall Net Neutrality discussion.
- "IDA NetNeutrality" (PDF). Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "What is Singapores position on Net Neutrality". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Timely for Singapore to strengthen net neutrality rules". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "The Fight for Net Neutrality And Why Singapore Doesn't Need It, Yet!". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Policy Framework for Net Neutrality". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "IDA Explanatory Memo" (PDF). Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Pending Decisions: IP Transit and Peering Landscape". Retrieved 28 April 2015.