|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||Bath, United Kingdom|
|Area served||United States, UK, Mainland Europe, Middle East, Asia Pacific, Latin America|
|Key people||Mike Prettejohn, CEO
Mandy Davis, COO
PCI Audit & Web Apps Security Test
Netcraft provides web server and web hosting market-share analysis, including web server and operating system detection. In some cases, depending on the queried server's operating system, their service is able to monitor uptimes; uptime performance monitoring is a commonly used factor in determining the reliability of a web hosting provider.
The company is also known for its free anti-phishing toolbar for the Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome browsers. Starting with version 9.5, the built-in anti-phishing filter in the Opera browser uses the same data as Netcraft's toolbar, eliminating the need for a separately installed toolbar. A study commissioned by Microsoft concluded that Netcraft's toolbar was among the most effective tools to combat phishing on the Internet, although this has since been superseded by Microsoft's own Internet Explorer 7 with Microsoft Phishing Filter, possibly as a result of licensing Netcraft's data.
The service can only process public IPv4 servers at the exclusion of IPv6. The browser extensions will display security information for a domain’s IPv4 servers even when the user is connected to a different server over IPv6.
- "Hosting Providers Network Performance". Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- "The Best Web Hosting Companies". Archived from the original on 9 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-24.
- "3Sharp Study finds Internet Explorer 7 Edges Out Netcraft As Most Accurate for Anti-Phishing Protection". Retrieved 2008-05-25.[dead link]
- "Netcraft Phishing Feed To Protect Microsoft Customers". Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- Aleksandersen, Daniel (2016-07-19). "Netcraft anti-phishing toolbar information misleading in IPv6 enabled networks". Slight Future. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
|This technology article about a corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|