Nether Compton parish church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Nether Compton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Dorset, situated in the West Dorset administrative district approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Sherborne and 3 miles east of Yeovil in Somerset. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 328.
The parish church of St. Nicholas has a 13th-century chancel, nave and south porch. The west tower, north chapel and nave windows demonstrate that the church was altered significantly in the 15th century. The whole building was then restored in the 1880s, when the chapel was extended and various internal modifications made. The stone screen is Perpendicular and the pulpit early 17th century. The west tower houses five bells: one from the 15th century (Salisbury foundry, inscribed "Sit Semper Sine Ve Qui Michi Dicit Ave"), one dated 1585, two dated 1658 (Thomas Purdue, Closworth) and one from 1886 (Gillett and Co., Croydon).
Many of the buildings in the village date from when it was improved in the last decades of the 19th century, Colonel John R. P. Goodden having inherited Compton House in 1883. Architect Evelyn Hellicar (1862–1929) is responsible for a number of the buildings. These include Sheriff's Lodge (1889). The Grade II listed former village school, built c. 1843, is now a private home.
- "Area: Nether Compton (Parish), Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, An Inventory of Historical Monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 1, West Dorset, London: HMSO, 1952, pp. 100-101.
- John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, p. 304. ISBN 0-300-09598-8
- Christopher Dalton, Bells and Belfries of Dorset, Ullingswick: Upper Court Press, 2000-2005, vol. 2, pp. 491-494. See also the relevant page of the online Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers
- Hellicar obituary, RIBA Journal, 21 September 1929, p. 772
- Philip Jarrett, "Obituary: Harald Penrose", The Independent, 11 September 1996
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nether Compton.|
- Dorset OPC - Nether and Over Compton
|This Dorset location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|