Netherwood station in August 2014.
|Location||South Avenue & Belvedere Avenue, Plainfield, New Jersey|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Line(s)||Raritan Valley Line|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||NJ Transit Bus: 133, 822|
Olympia Trails: Westfield Commuter Service
|Rebuilt||July 23, 1892–1893|
|March 20, 1892||Station depot burns|
|Passengers (2012)||546 (average weekday)|
|Location||Between North and South Aves., Plainfield, New Jersey|
|Area||0.3 acres (0.12 ha)|
|Architectural style||Queen Anne, Romanesque, Richardsonian Romanesque|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP reference No.||84002830|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
Netherwood is a New Jersey Transit railroad station on the Raritan Valley Line, in Plainfield, Union County, New Jersey, United States. It is located along North Avenue at the intersection of Netherwood Avenue and along South Avenue at the intersection of Belvedere Avenue. The station has a ticket vending machine, and the station house itself is located off of South Avenue.
Netherwood station was originally built by the Central Railroad of New Jersey in 1894. As with the rest of the CNJ, the station was subsidized by the New Jersey Department of Transportation in 1964 and absorbed into Conrail in 1976. The station is one of the two surviving CNJ stations in Plainfield (the other being Downtown Plainfield station), whereas the community previously had four; the other three being at Grant Avenue, Clinton Avenue (formerly known as Evona). The station building has been listed in the state and federal registers of historic places since 1984 and is part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource, along with the other active station downtown.
The station has two low-level side platforms.
|Track 1||← Raritan Valley Line toward Raritan or High Bridge (Plainfield)|
|Track 2||Raritan Valley Line toward Newark Penn Station (Fanwood) →|
|Street level||Station building, parking, buses|
|M||Mezzanine||Underpass between platforms|
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Union County, New Jersey
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- "Raritan Valley Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Bernhart, Benjamin L. (2004). Historic Journeys By Rail: Central Railroad of New Jersey Stations, Structures & Marine Equipment. Outer Station Project. p. 61. ISBN 1891402072.
- "A New Depot for Netherwood At Last". The Plainfield Courier. July 23, 1892. p. 3. Retrieved January 26, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- "A Sunday Afternoon". The Plainfield Courier. March 21, 1892. p. 3. Retrieved January 26, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS" (PDF). New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Netherwood New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
Media related to Netherwood (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons