It features continuous deployment from Git across a global application delivery network,[b 1] serverless form handling,[b 2] support for AWS Lambda functions, and full integration with Let's Encrypt. It provides both free and paid plans.[b 3]
A predecessor to the company began in 2013 when Danish entrepreneur Mathias Biilmann noticed a return to static websites while running MakerLoop, a content management startup based in San Francisco. In 2015, Biilmann invited Christian Bach, his childhood friend who was working as an executive at a creative services agency in Denmark, to join him in the new venture. Netlify was publicly launched as a MakerLoop product in March 2015.
On October 9, 2018, the company issued a press release announcing that it had completed a series B round led by Kleiner Perkins—with participation from Andreessen Horowitz, Slack and Flickr co-founder Stewart Butterfield, Yelp CEO and co-founder Jeremy Stoppelman, among others—securing $30 million.
To address some of the limitations of static websites, which tend to be less sophisticated and harder to use for the website maintainer than a dynamic content publishing solution such as WordPress or Medium, Netlify develops its own open source headless content management system called Netlify CMS.[b 2]
In an October 2018 press release co-authored by Netlify, CodePen co-founder Chris Coyier stated that "this is where the web is going, Netlify is just bringing it to us all a lot faster. With all the innovation in the space, this is an exciting time to be a developer."
- Xie, Yihui; Presmanes Hill, Alison; Thomas, Amber (2017). blogdown: Creating Websites with R Markdown. The R Series. Boca Raton: CRC Press. p. 79. ASIN B077VXPSL8. ISBN 9780815363729.
- Camden, Raymond; Rinaldi, Brian (2017). Working with Static Sites: Bringing the Power of Simplicity to Modern Sites. Sebastopol: O'Reilly Media. pp. 155, 177. ASIN B06XHGH789. ISBN 9781491960943.
- Xie, Yihui; Allaire, Joseph J.; Grolemund, Garrett (2018). R Markdown: The Definitive Guide. The R Series. Boca Raton: CRC Press. p. 207. ASIN B07G1CS6Z1. ISBN 9781138359338.
- "Business Entities Filing Document" (PDF). Secretary of State of California. February 26, 2018. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- "Business filings for Netlify, Inc". Office of the Secretary of State of California. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Neal, Ryan (July 26, 2016). "Guest Post: NATS at Netlify - New Possibilities for Ultra-fast Web Content Publishing". NATS. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Sawers, Paul (October 9, 2018). "Netlify raises $30 million to modernize the web". VentureBeat. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Rometsch, Ben (July 25, 2018). "How to Use Feature Flags in Continuous Integration". SitePoint. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- Miller, Ron (March 20, 2018). "Netlify wants to make it easier for web developers to use AWS Lambda event triggers". TechCrunch. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Biilmann, Matt (January 15, 2016). "A World's First. Free SSL with Let's Encrypt". Netlify. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Blædel, Mathias (August 11, 2017). "Dansk startup får millionrygstød: Har Google og Facebook som kunder" [Danish startup gets a $1 million push: Has Google and Facebook as customers]. Dagbladet Børsen (in Danish). Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- Finley, Klint (October 24, 2018). "This Company Wants to Make the Internet Load Faster". WIRED. Retrieved October 25, 2018.
- Deutscher, Maria (October 9, 2018). "Founders of Slack, Yelp join $30M round into web development startup Netlify". Silicon Angle. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- "Netlify Application Delivery Network". Netlify. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- "Plans and Pricing". Netlify. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- Lynley, Matthew (August 17, 2017). "Netlify, a service for quickly rolling out static websites, raises $2.1M". TechCrunch. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Weinberger, Matt (August 9, 2017). "A hot startup is using $12 million from Andreessen Horowitz to pursue a 'holy grail' of web technology". Business Insider. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Hanley Frank, Blair (August 9, 2017). "Netlify raises $12 million to advance web development". VentureBeat. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Wittorff, Jacob Ø. (August 25, 2017). "Dansk it-firma har landet en investering fra et af verdens største ventureselskaber: "De forlanger pengene 100 gange igen"" [Danish IT company lands investment from one of the world's largest venture companies: They expect a 100-times return]. Computerworld (in Danish). Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- Levine, Peter (August 9, 2017). "Netlify". Andreessen Horowitz. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Miller, Ron (October 9, 2018). "Netlify just got $30 million to change the way developers build websites". TechCrunch. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Leopold, George (October 9, 2018). "App Developer Netlify Looks Beyond Web Servers". EnterpriseTech. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Ouellet, Charles. "JAMstack for Clients: Benefits, Static Site CMS, & Limitations". CodeBurst.io.
- Moore, Madison (March 24, 2017). "SD Times GitHub project of the week: Netlify CMS". SD Times. Retrieved October 25, 2018.
- Tom Preston-Werner [@mojombo] (July 10, 2018). "Prediction: within 5 years, you'll build your next large scale, fully featured web app with #JAMstack and deploy on @Netlify" (Tweet). Retrieved October 9, 2018 – via Twitter.
- "Netlify raises $30M to replace webservers with a global 'Application Delivery Network'" (Press release). Netlify. October 9, 2018. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Netlify.|