Netscape Navigator 2
|Developer(s)||Netscape Communications Corporation|
Windows 3.1/95/NT |
Classic Mac OS 68K
Linux 1.2, IRIX, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, SunOS, FreeBSD
Netscape Navigator 2 was a proprietary web browser released by Netscape Communications Corporation as its flagship product. Versions were available for Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, Sun Solaris, and HP-UX.
The browser introduced many new or improved features:
- Support for progressive JPEGs (previous versions supported only the baseline format)
- Support for GIF89a (previous versions supported only GIF87a)
- Support for client-side image maps (previous versions supported only server-side image maps)
- Support for plugins (previous versions supported only helper applications)
- Improved bookmark organization
- Added support for FTP uploading
- Added OLE support
- Added support for HTML frames
- Introduced Netscape Mail and Netscape News, an e-mail client and Usenet News reader, respectively
The support for plugins led to the development of a number of popular plugins to extend Navigator's functionality.
- Acrobat Amber - Released in early 1996 by Adobe Systems, it allowed for a pdf to be streamed.
- Lightning Strike - Released by Inifinet, it offered non-standard real-time wavelet compression
- RealAudio Player 
- MovieStar - Released by Intelligence at Large, it offered streaming of QuickTime videos (as there wasn't a QuickTime plugin yet)
- Macromedia Shockwave
Netscape had several easter eggs. Navigator 2 featured verse 12:10 from The Book of Mozilla.
The bottom of "about:authors" read:
All human actions are equivalent ... and ... all are on principle doomed ...— Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness, Conclusion, sct. 2
- Shafer, p. 5
- Shafer, pp. 4-5
- Shafer, pp.5-6
- Shafer, p. 6
- Shafer, p. 7
- Shafer, p. 10
- "NETSCAPE NOW PROGRAM". Netscape Communications Corporation. 1996. Archived from the original on October 26, 1996. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "NETSCAPE NOW QUALIFICATIONS". Netscape Communications Corporation. 1996. Archived from the original on October 26, 1996. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Shafer, pp. 71-72
- McDonald, Glenn (Dec 2, 1996). "Image Compression Technology Optimized for Internet". PCWorld. Retrieved 2 March 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Shafer, pp. 72-73
- "Lightning Strike Netscape Plugins". Infinop, Inc. 1997. Archived from the original on June 13, 1997. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Shafer, pp. 75-79
- Shafer, pp. 74-75
- Shafer, pp. 79-82
- Shafer, p. 197
- Ernst, Warren (1996). Essential Netscape Navigator 2.0. Sams.net. ISBN 978-1-57521-065-0.
- James, Phil (1996). Official Netscape Navigator 2.0 book : Windows edition : the definitive guide to the world's most popular Internet navigator (1st ed.). Research Triangle Park, NC: Ventana. ISBN 978-1-56604-347-2.
- Hamilton, Dennis; Witherspoon, Craig; Witherspoon, Coletta (1996). 60 minute guide to Netscape 2. Foster City, CA: IDG Books Worldwide. ISBN 978-0-7645-3008-1.
- Oliphant, Zan (1996). Programming Netscape plug-ins / Zan Oliphant (1st ed.). Indianapolis, Ind.: Sams Net. ISBN 978-1-57521-098-8.
- Tauber, Daniel A.; Kienan, Brenda (1996). Surfing the Internet with Netscape Navigator 2 (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Sybex. ISBN 978-0-7821-1872-8.
- Wickre, James Barnett ; edited by Karen (1996). Guide to Netscape Navigator 2.0. Emeryville, Calif.: Ziff-Davis Press. ISBN 978-1-56276-354-1.