Netscape Navigator 9
Netscape Navigator 22.214.171.124 on Windows Vista displaying the main page of the English Wikipedia
|Initial release||October 15, 2007|
126.96.36.199 / 20 February 2008
|Operating system||Linux, macOS, Windows|
Netscape Navigator 9 is a discontinued web browser that was produced by the Netscape Communications division of parent AOL, first announced on January 23, 2007. It was the ninth major release of the Netscape line of browsers. After AOL outsourced the development of Netscape Browser 8 to Mercurial Communications in 2004, Netscape Navigator 9 marked the first Netscape browser to be produced in-house since the Netscape 7 suite. It also saw the return of the classic Navigator name, which was previously used during Netscape's heyday between versions 1.0 and 4.08 in the 1990s. Netscape Navigator 9 is based on Mozilla Firefox 2.0.
On December 28, 2007, Netscape developers announced that AOL would discontinue their web browser on February 1, 2008. On January 28, 2008, Netscape revised this date to March 1, 2008, and offered support for migration to Flock and Mozilla Firefox. It was the last web browser of the Netscape series.
The Beta releases of Netscape Navigator 9 included enhanced newsfeed support and were more integrated with the Netscape.com Internet portal, including enhanced methods of discussion, submission and voting of Web pages. However, starting with Netscape Navigator 9 beta 3, the Netscape.com integration was optional, and certain aspects of integration could be manually enabled or disabled, with integration being totally removed in Navigator 9.0rc1 as the portal relaunched as Propeller.
Like Netscape version 8.x, Navigator 9 was based upon the Mozilla Firefox, this time version 2.0, and should have had full support of all Firefox add-ons and plugins, some of which Netscape was providing. Netscape also released some of its features as extensions for Firefox, including the Site Mail Notifier and Friends' Activity Sidebar, the Digg Tracker, as well as Netstripe, the new default theme for Netscape 9.
The browser also included URL self-correction, which corrected common URL misspellings, an improved FTP listing interface and a dedicated News menu with integration to the Netscape.com news portal. A quick "link pad" was also included so Web pages could quickly be added to the pad for later viewing without adding to the bookmark lists. Navigator 9 also sees the browser return to multi-platform support across Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Netscape's signature splash screen also reappeared in the release candidate of the final program.
Unlike Netscape 8, the browser did not use Internet Explorer's Trident layout engine as an alternative engine option. Netscape Navigator did not include any newsgroup, instant messaging or Email clients as Netscape 6 and 7 did. Netscape did, however, plan to produce a companion email client to complement the Navigator, confirmed as Netscape Messenger 9. While that software was in development, Netscape advised its users to use the Netscape 7 series of suites, which includes an email client, alongside Navigator 9 for browsing purposes.
A new verse 8:20 of the Easter egg The Book of Mozilla was written for the release of Netscape 9, consisting of "And thus the Creator looked upon the beast reborn and saw that it was good". This could have reference either to the re-development of Netscape in-house once again, or the Mozilla Foundation and its contributors.
Based on user feedback, Netscape decided to return the splash screen to Navigator 9. On September 10, 2007, Netscape decided to give their design team a break and let users submit their own idea for how the splash screen should look. The winning image would be used as the splash screen in the final 9.0 release of Navigator, and the designer would be listed in the browser credits.
CNET Download.com claimed Navigator 9 had some "neat" components, contained many "tricks we love" and was "more than a backup browser"; which it previously used to describe Browser 8. Most of the bundled features from version 8 have been removed.
|Version||Release date||Based on Mozilla Firefox version|
|9.0b1||June 5, 2007||188.8.131.52|
|9.0b2||July 12, 2007||184.108.40.206|
|9.0b3||August 16, 2007||220.127.116.11|
|9.0rc1||October 1, 2007||18.104.22.168|
|9.0||October 15, 2007||22.214.171.124|
|126.96.36.199||October 22, 2007||188.8.131.52|
|184.108.40.206||November 1, 2007||220.127.116.11|
|18.104.22.168||November 2, 2007||22.214.171.124|
|126.96.36.199||November 27, 2007||188.8.131.52|
|184.108.40.206||December 10, 2007||220.127.116.11|
|18.104.22.168||February 20, 2008||22.214.171.124|
- Netscape announces cross-platform Netscape 9 to be developed in-house - Mozillazine Retrieved on February 5, 2007
- Netscape 9 - 1 May 2007 announcement Archived 10 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 05-02-2007
- Netscape 9.0b1 released Archived 2009-01-09 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 06-05-2007
- Netscape Navigator 9.0b2 releases Retrieved on 07-13-2007
- Netscape Community - messages #9441.1 Retrieved on 08-16-2007
- "The Netscape Blog". Netscape, AOL. Archived from the original on 2013-11-05..
- "The Netscape Blog". Netscape, AOL. Archived from the original on 2013-10-14.
- Netscape 9 - 23 January 2007 announcement Archived 27 March 2008 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on January 24, 2007
- Netscape 9 - 20 February 2007 Announcement Archived 9 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on February 20, 2007
- Netscape Navigator 9.0b3 released Retrieved on 08-17-2007
- Netscape Community - Navigator 9.0rc3 Retrieved on 10-02-2007.
- Netscape 9 - 10 February 2007 announcement Retrieved on 02-11-2007
- Netscape 9 - 6 February 2007 announcement Archived 15 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on February 6, 2007
- Netscape 9 - 13 February 2007 announcement Archived 12 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on June 6, 2007
- "What's New in Netscape Navigator? :: Netscape Navigator Web Browser". Netscape Communications, AOL. Archived from the original on 2007-11-03. Retrieved 2007-12-26.
- Netscape 9 - 30 January 2007 announcement Archived 28 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on June 6, 2007
- Netscape 9 - 6 March 2007 announcement Archived 12 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on June 6, 2007
- Netscape 9 - 30 Jan 20m07 announcement Archived 2008-05-28 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on January 30, 2007
- Netscape Navigator FAQ Retrieved on June 6, 2007
- Netscape Mercury/Messenger 9 requests at Netscape Community Support Archived 2009-01-12 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on June 12, 2007
- about:mozilla typed in the address bar of Netscape 9 Beta
- Navigator Splash Screen Design Contest Retrieved on October 26, 2012
- Navigator 9 Splash Screen Design Contest: The Entries Retrieved on October 26, 2012
- And the winner is... Retrieved on October 26, 2012
- Download.com review of Netscape Navigator 9 Retrieved on June 9, 2007
- "System Requirements :: Netscape Navigator Web Browser". AOL. Archived from the original on 2007-10-21. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
Netscape Browser (8)
| Netscape Navigator 9
replaced by Mozilla Firefox