This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Neuromuscular medicine is subspecialty of neurology and physiatry that focuses the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular diseases. The field encompasses issues related to both diagnosis and medical treatment of these conditions, as well as relevant rehabilitation interventions to optimize the quality of life of individuals with these conditions. This field encompasses disorders that impact both adults and children. Neuromuscular disease can be caused by autoimmune disorders, genetic/hereditary disorders such as channelopathies, or neurodegenerative diseases. Because they frequently have no cure, the focus is managing the condition to provide improvements in the patients quality. Rehabilitation robotics is a new frontier for neurological rehabilitation treatments.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2014)
- List of neuromuscular disorders
- Motor neuron diseases
- ICD-10 Chapter XIII: Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
- McDonald, C. M.; Fowler Jr, W. M. (2019-10-01). "The Role of the Neuromuscular Medicine and Physiatry Specialists in the Multidisciplinary Management of Neuromuscular Disease". Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. 23 (3): 475–493. doi:10.1016/j.pmr.2012.06.010. PMC 3482408. PMID 22938874.
- Kraker, Jessica; a. Zivkovic, Sasa (2011). "Autoimmune Neuromuscular Disorders". Current Neuropharmacology. 9 (3): 400–8. doi:10.2174/157015911796558000. PMC 3151594. PMID 22379454.
- Cite error: The named reference
nihwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Kim, June-Bum (January 2014). "Channelopathies". Korean Journal of Pediatrics. 57 (1): 1–18. doi:10.3345/kjp.2014.57.1.1. ISSN 1738-1061. PMC 3935107. PMID 24578711.
- "Neuromuscular Medicine". 2019-10-01. Archived from the original on 2019-10-01. Retrieved 2019-10-01.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2015-01-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)