Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||Nelson Oyesiku|
|ISSN||‹See Tfm›0148-396X (print)
‹See Tfm›1524-4040 (web)
Neurosurgery is a monthly peer reviewed medical journal of neurosurgery and the official journal of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. It is published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. The journal publishes original research, reviews, and editorials.
Discussion about a new specialist journal began in 1973 at a Southern Neurosurgical Society meeting, held in New Orleans, Louisiana. For the next 3 years negotiations took place to either purchase an existing journal or start a new one. In July 1976, during a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the decision to begin a new publication was made at the recommendation of the Congress' Publication Committee. President Robert G. Ojemann made the announcement of its launch at the 26th Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons on October 27, 1976 and the inaugural issue of Neurosurgery was published in July 1977 as a bimonthly publication. The journal shifted to monthly publication in 1979.
The first supplement to Neurosurgery, named the "Millenium Supplement", was published in September 2000. The Operative Neurosurgery supplement is currently produced quarterly, and other topic-focused supplements are produced throughout the editorial calendar.
The following individuals have been editor-in-chief of the journal:
- Robert Wilkins, 1977-1982
- Clark Watts, 1982–1987
- Edward Laws, Jr, 1987–1992
- Michael Apuzzo, 1992–2009
- Nelson Oyesiku, 2009–present
According to the Journal Citation Reports, Neurosurgery has a 2014 impact factor of 3.620, ranking it 21st out of 198 journals in the category "Surgery" and 41st out of 192 in the category "Clinical Neurology".
In May 2010, the International Podcast Series was introduced with article abstracts from the current issue translated and read in 8 languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, and Russian).
- Wilkins RH (1982). "Birth of a Journal: The Origin and Early Years of Neurosurgery". Neurosurgery. 10 (6): 820–826. doi:10.1227/00006123-198206010-00029.
- Wilkins RH (1977). "Editorial Introduction". Neurosurgery. 1 (1): 1.
- "Previous Issues : Neurosurgery". Journals.lww.com. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "September 2000 - Volume 47 - Issue 3 : Neurosurgery". Journals.lww.com. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Surgery". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Clinical Neurology". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.