Neustadt, Westerwaldkreis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Neustadt
Coat of arms of Neustadt
Coat of arms
Location of Neustadt within Westerwaldkreis district
Neustadt Westerwald im Westerwaldkreis.png
Neustadt is located in Germany
Neustadt
Neustadt
Neustadt is located in Rhineland-Palatinate
Neustadt
Neustadt
Coordinates: 50°37′58″N 8°2′30″E / 50.63278°N 8.04167°E / 50.63278; 8.04167Coordinates: 50°37′58″N 8°2′30″E / 50.63278°N 8.04167°E / 50.63278; 8.04167
CountryGermany
StateRhineland-Palatinate
DistrictWesterwaldkreis
Municipal assoc.Rennerod
Government
 • MayorHansfred Gros
Area
 • Total2.80 km2 (1.08 sq mi)
Elevation
496 m (1,627 ft)
Population
 (2018-12-31)[1]
 • Total589
 • Density210/km2 (540/sq mi)
Time zoneCET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes
56479
Dialling codes02664
Vehicle registrationWW
Websitewww.rennerod.de

Neustadt/ Westerwald is an Ortsgemeinde – a community belonging to a Verbandsgemeinde – in the Westerwaldkreis in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.

Geography[edit]

Location[edit]

The community lies in the Westerwald between Siegen and Limburg an der Lahn. Through the community flows the Große Nister. Neustadt belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Rennerod, a kind of collective municipality. Its seat is in the like-named town.

Neighbouring communities[edit]

Neustadt is surrounded by the communities of Niederroßbach in the north, Emmerichenhain in the east, Hellenhahn-Schellenberg in the south and Höhn in the west.

History[edit]

In 1384, Neustadt/Westerwald had its first documentary mention.

Religion[edit]

Roughly 82% of the population is Catholic with the other 18% following either another or no faith.

Politics[edit]

Community council[edit]

The council is made up of 12 council members who were elected in a majority vote in a municipal election on 13 June 2004.

Coat of arms[edit]

The wavy bend sinister in the community’s arms stands for its location on the Große Nister. The black eagle in gold – the Imperial eagle – symbolizes today’s rural area of Forstwiese, which was once an Imperial forest. The waterwheel stands for the two former mills at Neustadt, which did grinding for the Neustadt-Hellenhahn-Schellenberg milling region. The tinctures gold and blue are Nassau’s (golden lion in blue) and refer to the community’s former territorial allegiance.

Town partnerships[edit]

Neustadt in Europa working company, 2006

Neustadt is a member of the international town friendship group Neustadt in Europa with 34 members in five countries (as of 15 August 2005).

Culture and sightseeing[edit]

Economy and infrastructure[edit]

Transport[edit]

Right near the community run Bundesstraßen 54, linking Limburg an der Lahn with Siegen, and 255, leading from Montabaur to Herborn. The nearest Autobahn interchange is Haiger/Burbach on the A 45 (DortmundHanau), some 18 km away. The nearest InterCityExpress stop is the railway station at Montabaur on the Cologne-Frankfurt high-speed rail line.

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Bevölkerungsstand 2018 - Gemeindeebene". Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz (in German). 2019.

External links[edit]