Town hall and the church
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Jean-Pierre Puchois|
|Area1||12.59 km2 (4.86 sq mi)|
|• Density||120/km2 (310/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||62609 / 62580|
|Elevation||81–144 m (266–472 ft)
(avg. 107 m or 351 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Neuville-Saint-Vaast is situated 4 miles (6 km) north of Arras, at the junction of the D49 and D55 roads. The A26 autoroute passes through the commune.
In World War I, Neuville-Saint-Vaast was the location of intense mining activity by the tunnelling companies of the Royal Engineers. In March 1916, the New Zealand Tunnelling Company relieved the French 7/1 compagnie d'ingénieurs territoriaux in the "Labyrinth" sector of the Western Front. The German "Labyrinth" stronghold was located near Neuville-Saint-Vaast, between Roclincourt and Écurie and not far from Notre Dame de Lorette. On 29 March 1916, the New Zealand Tunnelling Company exchanged position with the 185th Tunnelling Company and moved to Roclincourt-Chantecler, a kilometre south of their old sector. The 176th Tunnelling Company moved to Neuville-Saint-Vaast in April 1916 and remained there for a considerable time, as did the 172nd Tunnelling Company, which was relieved at Neuville-Saint-Vaast by the 2nd Australian Tunnelling Company in May 1916.
|Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates|
Places of interest
- The church of St.Laurent, rebuilt, as was all of the village, after World War I.
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries.
- The war memorial.
- Henri Gaudier-Brzeska, sculptor, died in the fighting here on the 5 June 1915.
- François Hennebique, an inventor of reinforced concrete, was born here on the 26 April 1842.
- Communes of the Pas-de-Calais department
- Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery
- Canadian Cemetery No. 2
- Neuville-St Vaast German war cemetery
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neuville-Saint-Vaast.|
- Official website of the commune (French)
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission British cemetery at Neuville-Saint-Vaast (La Targette)
- Neuville-Saint-Vaast on the Quid website (French)
|This Arras arrondissement, Pas-de-Calais geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|