Neuwied station is, along with Engers station, a hub of public transport in the town of Neuwied in the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate and it is located in its west. The station is located on the East Rhine Railway (German: Rechte Rheinstrecke) and is the starting point of the Neuwied–Koblenz railway. In the station forecourt there is a bus station. The station is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station.
The station was opened in 1869, along with the East Rhine Railway. In the early years, especially after the opening of the Westerwald Railway in1884, Engers station was more important than Neuwied station. It was only after the construction of the Crown Prince Wilhelm bridge (the predecessor of today's Urmitz railway bridge) between Engers and Urmitz and the opening of the Neuwied–Koblenz railway in 1918 that the station became increasingly important, especially after the cessation of operations on the Westerwald Railway in the early 1990s.
When the West Rhine Railway was opened by the Rhenish Railway Company in 1857, there was a station called Neuwied in Weißenthurm. The company operated a ferry between Neuwied and Weißenthurm from 1860.
Neuwied station has a freight and a passenger area.
The Neuwied freight yard, which is operationally integrated into Neuwied station, has two loading tracks with a total of 1,827 square metres of roadway for loading. The loading of freight wagons can only be carried out on the loading road, using only one of the two electrified loading tracks.
Passenger traffic is handled at Neuwied station on two platforms with four platform edges (three through tracks and a terminating track).
Neuwied station is being adapted for the disabled as part of the economic stimulus package. The middle platform has been raised to a height of 55 cm and lifts will be installed on the other two platforms to provide barrier-free access. In addition, the roof of platform 2/3 will be replaced to provide shelter for passengers and new furniture is being installed on the platform. According to Deutsche Bahn’s plans for 2011, the station is being equipped with a dynamic passenger information system and new platform lighting is being installed.
In 2012, Neuwied station is served by only one long-distance service from 9 September to 21 October. This is also the only service that runs only on the east-bank line and not via Koblenz Central Station.
|Line||Route||Period of operation|
|IC 2412||Frankfurt – Rüdesheim – Neuwied – Linz – Cologne – Düsseldorf – Duisburg – Essen – Münster –Bremen – Hamburg||9 September to 21 October 2012|
In regional passenger transport, Neuwied station is served in the 2012 timetable by the following lines:
|Rhein-Erft-Express||Mönchengladbach – Rheydt – Cologne – Cologne/Bonn Airport – Bonn-Beuel – Linz (Rhein) – Neuwied – Engers – Koblenz-Ehrenbreitstein – Koblenz Hbf||Hourly|
|RheingauLinie||Neuwied – Koblenz Stadtmitte – Koblenz Hbf – Rüdesheim (Rhein) – Wiesbaden – Frankfurt (Main)||Hourly|
|Rhein-Erft-Bahn||Mönchengladbach – Rheydt – Köln Hbf – Köln-Porz – Bonn-Beuel – Linz (Rhein) – Neuwied – Koblenz-Lützel – Koblenz Hbf||Hourly|
|Preceding station||Deutsche Bahn||Following station|
toward Mönchengladbach Hbf
toward Koblenz Hbf
toward Mönchengladbach Hbf
toward Koblenz Hbf
|Preceding station||VIAS||Following station|
toward Frankfurt (Main) Hbf
Outside the station
The complete redesign of the station forecourt was carried out with a good appreciation of the station and its surroundings. This redesign included:
- the renewal and rebuilding of eleven bus bays (in addition, twelve bus parking spaces were provided)
- the building of a parking area for bicycles
- the creation of 100 park and ride spaces.
In addition, a community centre now occupies part of the station building.
- "Stationspreisliste 2015" [Station price list 2015] (PDF) (in German). DB Station&Service. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- Bilder und Gestalten aus der Vergangenheit der Stadt Neuwied. Neuwied: Verlag Strüder. 1953 (for the 300th anniversary of the town of Neuwied)
- "Plan of freight loading facility" (PDF) (in German). Deutsche Bahn. p. 124. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Maßnahmen der Konjunkturprogramme für den Bahnhof Neuwied". Deutsche Bahn. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "IC 2412" (PDF) (in German). Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Mosel. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Bahnhof Neuwied" (in German). Government of Rhineland-Palatinate. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Bürgerhaus Bahnhof" (in German). Neuwied council. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- Kurt Wolfram (1927). Die wirtschaftsgeschichtliche Entwicklung der Stadt Neuwied (in German). Rhein- u. Wied-Druckerei.
- "Track plan of Neuwied station" (PDF) (in German). Retrieved 19 May 2012.